Normal Topic Desktop shortcuts for applications (Read 790 times)
wildwood

No personal text

Desktop shortcuts for applications
Sep 22nd, 2006 at 2:24am
Print Post Print Post  
I used the instructions, I believe I received either from this forum or from Inside Sesame, to put a shortcut on my desktop for some of my most frequently used applications. My computer did a bit of crashing and after everything was up and running again I forgot how to install these shortcuts. Could use some help.

Peter

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Desktop shortcuts for applications
Reply #1 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 7:47am
Print Post Print Post  
This is a generic answer that may help you.

For any file/program that you want to run, you must know the path (drive and folders) and the filename that you want to run.

Use Windows Explore and resize it so that it is not full screen.  You will need to be able to see the desktop.  Now, go through the left side window, expanding the tree/branches until you see the file you want to run on the right side of the Explore window.  Right click the file, hold down the tight mouse button and drag from the Explore window to your desktop.  Release the right mouse button and a small menu will pup up.  Left click on the option phrase that resembles "Create Shortcuts Here" and you will have an icon on your desktop.  Now you con right click the new desktop icon, left click on Properties, and modify the command line to add parameter switches, and make other modifications such as closing the program window when done.

If you select an executable file (usually an *.exe or *.com), that will be an executable file and that file will be executed.  If you select a non-executable file, then the program that is "associated" with that file will be opened, working with that file.  For instance, a *.txt file will usually open Notepad, an *.htm will usually open your default browser.  Results will vary on different machines depending on the "file associations" thet have been defined for that machine.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Peter,

The easiest way is to just create a copy of your existing Sesame icon, if you still have one.
Rename it to be a name that you will associate with the file that it opens.
Right Click on it and go to Properties
Switch to the Shortcut tab
In Target it will say "C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe"
Add to the end the path to the application you want to open and the application name.

For example: Say you want to open Customers.db which is located in the Data Directory
You Target would be "C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe C:\Sesame\Data\Customers.db"
-or-
"C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe Data\Customers.db" (If "Start In:" is set to be "C:\Sesame" which is the default)

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #3 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 12:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Also...
If your application's pathname contains any spaces, you will need to put quotes around it as in the following example.

Code
Select All
C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe "Data\My Application.db" 

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

wildwood

No personal text

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 12:50am
Print Post Print Post