Normal Topic Question for Qwiz (Read 1162 times)
Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Question for Qwiz
Jun 21st, 2006 at 12:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all,

My office is looking at hiring a database administrator to ease the load off of me for Sesame -- unfortunately, no one in our area who has replied to the job posting has direct experience with the program.

So, I want to interview people and assign them the homework of building a simple application.  I want to have them show

- ability to create a simple, presentable form
- ability to manipulate data
- ability to build a simple report

Can anyone offer some suggestions on what sort of sample application I should ask them to build?  It should be something that could be done by a fairly intelligent person in one evening ...

Thanks!
Blair

Coesper erat: tunc lubriciles altravia circum&&Urgebant gyros gimbiculosque tophi:&&Moestenui visae borogovides ire meatu:&&Et profugi gemitus exgrabuere rathae

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Question for Qwiz
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 1:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Contact databases are pretty classic for this sort of thing. Everyone knows how they are supposed to work, so requirements don't become an issue. There is opportunity for you to "require" light data manipulation.

BTW, if it is of help, I am happy to schedule the two-hour webinars by request. If your applicants or new hires need a quick intro to Sesame Designer or SBasic programming, let me know and I'll schedule the webinars on whatever dates you need.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Blair Wettlaufer
Members

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 2:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks!

Here's what I have so far for my test project -- what are a few light programming functions to require?

Here's what I have written for my test so far -- what's a good requirement for light programming to add?

-      build a simple contact management database for clients to include the following:
o      Name
o      Address
o      Telephone Number
o      Fax Number
o      Notes
-      Populate the database with 10 fictitious clients
-      Create a report that will print an index of clients

Applicants who return their test database will have their project reviewed and their competency will be judged based on their programming, presentation of the application, and timeliness.

Coesper erat: tunc lubriciles altravia circum&&Urgebant gyros gimbiculosque tophi:&&Moestenui visae borogovides ire meatu:&&Et profugi gemitus exgrabuere rathae

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 2:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Here's what I have written for my test so far -- what's a good requirement for light programming to add?

Format the phone numbers.
This simple requirement will show you some important things:
1. Do they use On Element Exit or the more efficient On Element Change?
2. Do they include they ability to handle entries that don't match the preferred format? If so, do they handle them gracefully, or do they create user-frustrating traps or invasive popups?
3. Do they copy the code for each phone number field, or do they know to use a global Function?
4. Do they understand basic string handling and the difference between numbers and text?

BTW, not choosing the "preferred by 15 year experience with multiple language programmers" option on any of the above is not necessarily a failure on their part, but their choices should give you a very good idea of how much general programming knowledge and experience the person has.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 2:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi all,

My office is looking at hiring a database administrator to ease the load off of me for Sesame -- unfortunately, no one in our area who has replied to the job posting has direct experience with the program.Blair

Hey Blair,

Glad to see you got your application up and running, I know how hard you worked on it Smiley.
The toughest task in replacing yourself as developer is going to be not second guessing every move your DB administrator makes.

About that Job opening…. Does it come with benefits and one of the cool Swatch cars?

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #5 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I wonder if you are really going to be able to keep a Database Administrator busy full time?  I don't know your business demands, but most companies that I deal with have no full time database person or IT person.   Of course, I deal mostly with small businesses under $10M.  Your situation could be quite different.

Your needs for database support may be heavy now, during Sesame development, but what about after design is done?  Once your app is designed, I suspect that daily changes will be minimal.  The most common demand might be report generation/modification.  Again, once done, maintenance will be minimal.  Creative report designs can minimze the need for new reports, selecting from picklists/menus, prompting user for temp changes to existing retrieve specs, date ranges, sorting, etc. and other values. 

So to keep this person full utilized when design is done, you may be looking for other IT skills in addition to database management. Network support, router and firewall issues, Internet support and web page development, integration with other applications, etc.

When you consider the full cost of a full time database administrator benefits, supervision, the future cost of replacing that employee and retraining another, etc., You may find that the cost of hiring outside Sesame help on demand may be less expensive.

Yes, I can provide this type of outside support, but so can many others.  I am just making a suggestion to you that you may not have considered.  I just wanted to remind you to make sure you are asking all the correct questions before you decide to hire a full time Database Administrator.  For full time employment, you might want a more general type of IT person who can provide Sesame support as part of a full set of IT tools.

In any case, good luck with your use of Sesame.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged