Normal Topic Network Printers (Read 2132 times)
WhiteCrow

No personal text

Network Printers
Apr 11th, 2006 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello all, 

I am trying to get a temporary Q&A system set up to run along side Sesame until the database translation and testing is completed.  There is only one hurdle to get over, we would like four printers to run off the file-server in Q&A possibly over a print-server, because we use masses of pre-printed forms it is better than having the printers local.

I have tried it with an IBM 4072 pro-printer with a HP Print-server but it isnt being recognised as a valid LPT device in Q&A.  It just sits there at "Waiting for printer"

The present setup has Novell which handles the task of re-mapping the printers and it works okay but is to be replaced.

What other method could be used to make Q&A see network printers and to be able to select them as a LPT port in Q&A? 

Back in the 80's I simply used DOS with a RPTI Network and that was fab,  now, with Windows it seems to be a difficult task.

A few details: 
Windows 2000 running as a simple file server for Q&A
Windows 2000 running Sesame in server mode
8 Windows 2000 Workgroup Clients connecting to Q&A

Sesame will not be connected to the clients untill all is finished on the translation side, first the database translations and then I need to translate all the Sesame commands into German so it can be understood by the users.

I have probably written this to be more complicated than it really is but here goes.  Look forward to your valuable input.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Network Printers
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 8:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
The basic things to do for Q&A printers is to make shareable printers in Windows first. 

If you have operating system that allows Capture (Win9x and earlier), then do that

If you have newer system, then use NET USE LPTX: \\SERVERNAME\PRINTERNAME /PERSISTENT:YES.   Some operating systems may require you to do this on each machine for each user.  This would be a one time thing since the "persistent" switch will make it permanent.

In Q&A just select LPTX as needed.  But you may need to play with the Q&A print drivers.  The ones from Q&A DOS 5.0 are the most inclusive.  You can frequently use HP LaserJet, or Generic as drivers and get acceptable results if not using special fonts or formatting.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2006 at 4:40am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

WhiteCrow

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 10:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for your help Bob,

that seems to work a treat even with my router's built-in USB print-server.  I may have to disable the local LPT1 ports as described in a M$ tech sheet due to non-admins not being able to re-map a physical port but I can live with that.

IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 6:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob_Hansen wrote on Apr 11th, 2006 at 8:27pm:
If you have newer system, then use NET USE LPTX: \\SERVERNAME\PRINTERNAME /PERSISTENT:YES.   Some operating systems may require you to do this on each machine for each user.  This would be a one time thing since the "persistent" switch will make it permanent.

The Q&A printer installation configuration also recognizes COM1 & 2.  Can Net Use associate a printer with the com ports as well?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2006 at 10:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, in theory.

I don't think I have ever used it, but as long as the destination is a device on a shared COM port, I think it should be ok.  Should look something like this:

NET USE COM2: \\SharedSource\SharedDeviceName /PERSISTENT = YES

Should also be sure that source and destination COM device settings are identical re parity, bits, speed, etc.
======================================================

This is only needed on Win200x\XP systems.  Older systems just use the Capture Tab on the Windows Printer.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged