Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remote Computing (Read 3879 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Remote Computing
Apr 8th, 2006 at 2:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Looking into Remote Computing software. What is the best available? If anyone using them on regular basis, can you please give me Pros and Cons.  I have heard about GoToMyPC and PCAnywhere. Used PCAnywhere Dos program in the past but not that effectively. I will appreciate your feedback to help me to choose the right one. Thanks.

Bharat Naik

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Remote Computing
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 4:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Windows XP has something called Remote Desktop built-in. I have tried it, but have not tried the others, so I can't give you a comparision rating.

Since it's probably already on your system, it may be worth checking out. You can learn about it by typing "Remote Desktop" in Windows Help and Support Center (press F1 from your desktop).

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 7:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I use pcAnyWhere (PCA) extensively, every day.  My number one choice.  Have used it for over 15 years.  Prefer it over Remote Desktop and Terminal Services.

Since version 10.5, PCA also has a Web Client that can be used.  So you can install Web Client from thumb drive on any browser for access to remote Host system.

GoToMyPc involves monthly charges about $20 USD.  PCA has no charge after initial purchase.  I have found that version 10.5 or higher is adequate, can get good prices ($20) on Ebay (vs. the latest 11.5 for $150.)

Remote Desktop works good if the remote Host is XP Pro or higher.  Don't think it is available on XP Home version.  You can use Remote Desktop Client on WIN98 to connect to XP PRO, but cannot go the other direction. 

Remote Desktop does not easily allow file transfers, pcAnyWhere has it built in, simple Drag/Drop across explorer type split window. 

Remote Desktop blocks out Host system, logs out the existing user, but PCA allows users at Host and Remote ends to control the workstation, or the remote Host can be locked to the user.  This also means you can connect to a remote Host and see real time the existing problem on the screen vs. Remote Desktop logging the user out and losing that status.

PCA has good security, encryption availble, passwords, gateway options, etc.  Default ports can be redefined for additional security. Scripts can be written to execute on connection.  Programs can be set to run immediately upon connection, File/folder synching can be automatic. 

Both programs need some setup on Host systems.  May also need some port redirections on router, depending on complexity of network.  PCA is also more sensitive to Video Drivers vs. Remote Desktop, but that was more common in earlier versions.  You can now define some video settings.  I have not found this to be a problem in the last few years.

Again, I recommend PCA, version 10.5 or higher.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2006 at 8:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have had great success with VNC from AT&T. There are entirely free versions available for all operating systems, and it can used through a web browser if one end does not have the client software.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2006 at 1:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks guys. I am looking into Remote Desktop before I go out and buy something. I had used PCAnywhere before so that is good alternative. Looked into VNC also. I hate to go through a learning curve with new softwares.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 3:59am
Print Post Print Post  
Remote Desktop works just fine. It is inbuilt in the operating system (Windows XP Professional) and easy to configuire. No additional programs to be installed.

If you are using router, you have to open up port 3389. Firewall is set to allow automatically.

Limitations:
1. Needs to have XP Professional in the computer that you want to connect to. One can connect from Windows 98, ME and Windows 2000.

2. File transfer is by Copy and Paste, not by dragging. I think that is no big deal.

Advantages:

1. Since it is part of operating system, you can reach any computer, of course with the permission of administrator.

2. Big plus for remote help, as you do not need any outside software.

3. Great for tech support.

4. As we go forward, Windows 98 and ME will be less and less used, so this will likely to become the preferred way of remote computing with Windows operating system.

Once you setup the system, you can work on the remote computer just as you are sitting in front of your own computer.  It is as fast as the remote computer because only the key stroke and screen needs to be transferred over the connection, everything else takes place only on the remote computer.

I like it the ease and convenience.

Bharat Naik

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 4:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Most of the broadband ISP services comes with Dynamic IP and that causes problem with remote computing. If the IP of the computer has changed since your last connection, you will not get connected, not knowing the current IP.

One can have Static IP for about $15 more monthly or get a domain and DNS service. DNS service keeps up with changing IP while you use only Domain name while connecting.

Using Sesame over the Internet as a client, I believe, one will need to have either domain or will have to face similar problem. What is your experience in this regards? Is it better to have static IP or Domain? Can someone gives pros and cons of these approaches. 

Registering of domain to have a website is understandable but to have for this purpose is a little new to me.  Your input is very much appreciated.  Thanks.

Bharat Naik

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 3:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Look into "Dynamic DNS"  and/or "Dynamic IP" options.  Free services are available.

I have used this one, http://www.lowrieweb.com/dynamicip.htm , and it does not appear to load any unwanted software on your system

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #8 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 5:28am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob Hansen. It works great. Now it does not matter if the IP changes, one can still reach the remote computer with no extra cost.

IP Logged

UPaul42
Members

been a Q&A user/programmer
since version 2.0

Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 1:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Folks,

I have had great success with DNS2GO. Available at dns2go.com. The basic cost is $20.00 per year. As a reseller, I like billing each year for each address I set up.

The address is assigned as YOURCHOICE.DNS2GO.COM - YOURCHOICE being what you want the remote system to be called.

This works well with a client router and service that may have a "floating" IP address.

&&http://www.lantica.com/images/sespro_badges/sespro3.gif&&Paul Anderson&&President&&Systems-Consulting&&89 Main Street, Broad Brook CT 06016&&(860) 627-5393&&Sales@Systems-Consulting.com
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 6:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have recently been using LogMeIn because that is what my client already had.  This is a web based remote application and the experience has been good.  Cost is about $15/month for the host computer, but access can be given to anyone.  Only drawback so far is that must disconnect from remote mode when doing File Transfers. pcAnyWhere allows transfers to work in background while still working in remote mode. 

pcAnyWhere also has a web based remote connection to any host version 10.5 or higher.  But unlike LogMeIn, the web version allows NO file transfers at all.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged