Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What I'm working on (again) (Read 4786 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

What I'm working on (again)
Jan 27th, 2006 at 2:55am
Print Post Print Post  
Its been a while.

The 2.0 feature I've been working on is one of the most interesting, but least likely to make it into Sesame. I am trying to write a small and relatively simple web server into Sesame. It allows you to contact the Sesame server, query records, and even post from your web browser.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Re: What I'm working on (again)
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 3:01am
Print Post Print Post  
Well, if it's not likely to make it into Sesame why don't you just "Fahged aboud it", wrap up what you have and start shipping!!!!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 3:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Well, if it's not likely to make it into Sesame why don't you just "Fahged aboud it", wrap up what you have and start shipping!!!!

It doesn't really work that way. I never stop adding features. People other than me test and document while I work, usually a handful of features behind. When they decide that its ready to ship they grab that version.

Meanwhile the work I am doing goes into the next version.

If I had to stop working while there was release going on, things would get a lot less efficient. But then I would get some time off.

Also, I should point out - better and more web access is near the top of the wish lists coming in from customers.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 1:32am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm setting up the form on change events so that they traverse up from child forms to the parent (given that the parent has autocalc on - the default).

This should help in the case where the programmer wants to collect information from a subform has it is being changed.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 5:01am
Print Post Print Post  
That sound like it will be quite useful Mark....thanks for looking out for us.

While you're at it, how about a MouseMove(x,y) and MouseMoveRelative(x,y) and a MouselClick(L/R/M) to allow moving mouse to screen position to click items that may not be available from the keyboard?

MouseMove(x,y) moves mouse to absoute pixel screen position
MouseMoveRelative(x,y) moves mouse to pixel position relative to Window top left corner to handle windows that are not at position 0,0.
MouseClick Left/Right/Middle button. 

Could ask for more like MouseClick(Down/Up) to also allow for dragging, not to mention DoubleClick or MouseMove/Over but don't want to be too greedy right now.
-------------------------
Also, a simple way for the Parent form to know that one or more child records have been deleted that might trigger the need for some recalculations.  Right now I am adding code to count subrecords when parent form opens and again when closes, and compare for difference.  But with many sub records, this becomes visible slow down.  This could be some type of StatusFlag like @Add/@Modified .... @Deleted would be a new status flag.
-------------------------------

I know, suggestions can be entered elsewhere, but since you are doing your own thing, I thought I would try to slip in a few idle thoughts.  Things you could easily implement without major effort.  It's always easy when someone else has to do it.

Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:35am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 5:05am
Print Post Print Post  
.... and perhaps a reminder when the batteries in the mouse are getting low .....

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for listening Mark.

One of the advantages of forums and User Groups like SANE, and conference calling like Skype, is the opportunity to get input from others re what you are doing.  (Spencer, you need a name for the new Tampa users group).

After sending earlier message about need for @Delete, I talked myself into an easier and faster method. 

Not done yet, but will be tried soon:
When the DeleteRecord button is selected, I will just set a static variable.  When I close the Parent record I will check the status of the static variable and recals as needed if variable indicates a deletion.  And then will clear the static.  Just need to make sure I clear static variable if operator selects NO when prompted to really Delete?

This will eliminate the constant count of subrecords when opening and closing the Parent Form.  Only count will be needed at subrecord level after selecting the DeleteRecord button.

Thanks for listening, lots of good help here, great place for great ideas.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 2:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
That sound like it will be quite useful Mark....thanks for looking out for us.

While you're at it, how about a MouseMove(x,y) and MouseMoveRelative(x,y) and a MouselClick(L/R/M) to allow moving mouse to screen position to click items that may not be available from the keyboard?

As far as I know, in runtime 1.1.3, the only elements not available from the keyboard is the window drag to resize, and main window max / min buttons. I suspect that these are actually available from the keyboard too (they are in Linux/X11), but I don't know the keystrokes to cause them. Commands to resize the main window (as per the buttons at the top right of the main window) have been implemented in 2.0. Also, macros can be used to click on any element in 1.1.3 and 2.0.

Quote:
MouseMove(x,y) moves mouse to absoute pixel screen position
MouseMoveRelative(x,y) moves mouse to pixel position relative to Window top left corner to handle windows that are not at position 0,0.
MouseClick Left/Right/Middle button. 

Could ask for more like MouseClick(Down/Up) to also allow for dragging, not to mention DoubleClick or MouseMove/Over but don't want to be too greedy right now.

Originally, before 1.0 - the macros used to play back showing mouse motion (actually pushed the mouse cursor around the screen). But it was decided that it was too slow and too obvious what the macro was doing. I'm not sure why people care if the end user knows what a macro is doing - but they did.

Can you be more specific as to what you are trying to do with this?

Quote:
-------------------------
Also, a simple way for the Parent form to know that one or more child records have been deleted that might trigger the need for some recalculations.  Right now I am adding code to count subrecords when parent form opens and again when closes, and compare for difference.  But with many sub records, this becomes visible slow down.  This could be some type of StatusFlag like @Add/@Modified .... @Deleted would be a new status flag.
-------------------------------

We've been looking into providing an "on delete" event to be added in like on form enter/exit.

Quote:
I know, suggestions can be entered elsewhere, but since you are doing your own thing, I thought I would try to slip in a few idle thoughts.  Things you could easily implement without major effort.  It's always easy when someone else has to do it.

Grin

Suggestions are always welcome here. Both of the entries I made in this thread (the "simple web server" and the "parent form on change" features) are in reaction to forum/email posts. Sesame is definitely a collaborative effort (largely based on user suggestions) and no portion of it is me doing "my own thing".

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 2:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

Ray has been asking that we use the "support" link to submit suggestions:

Quote:
Hello Bob,

suggestions can be submitted at http://www.lantica.com/Support/support_request_form.html This ensures that they go through the proper channels.

-Ray

I thought, perhaps, that was so they could be tracked better or "whatever."

It's a lot easier to post suggestions here where the issues are being discussed.  Are you saying we can "forget about" using the support link to submit suggestions? Apparently that works for you; will it satisfy Ray also?

We do want to keep all of you happy when we can and want you to feel supported by us ... as much as we feel (and are, indeed) supported by you.   Smiley

Thanks

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 2:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

Ray has been asking that we use the "support" link to submit suggestions:

I thought, perhaps, that was so they could be tracked better or "whatever."

It's a lot easier to post suggestions here where the issues are being discussed.  Are you saying we can "forget about" using the support link to submit suggestions? Apparently that works for you; will it satisfy Ray also?

We do want to keep all of you happy when we can and want you to feel supported by us ... as much as we feel supported by you.   Smiley

Thanks

You should, absolutely, use the support suggestion form. Suggestions here can get lost. Suggestions that are submitted at the support page are not so much tracked (that sounds so NSA!) as they are certain to end up in a real (you can weigh it) in-box, making them more likely to be implemented.

Suggestions made here are also likely to be implemented, but might get forgotten or lost as attentions shift and change. In other words, I might read a suggestion here and start the implementation ball rolling, but then Ray's phone rings (or whatever), and my attention is drawn elsewhere. Without a piece of paper in my "to do" stack, I may not get back to it.

This is why most software companies do not allow customer contact directly with developers. In most software companies, customer contact is only with marketing, sales, and support. That prevents the programmers from being "interrupt driven".

Of course, some ideas are so compelling that they get implemented no matter how they come in.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #10 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 3:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

So even though you say "suggestions are welcome here" it would probably behoove us (hope you're watching, Bob) to also "cut and paste" or whatever those that we care about, into the support request form using the support request link.

Is that a logical conclusion?

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 3:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark -

So even though you say "suggestions are welcome here" it would probably behoove us (hope you're watching, Bob) to also "cut and paste" or whatever those that we care about, into the support request form using the support request link.

Is that a logical conclusion?

Yes.

IP Logged

NICEBERG
Members

I came, I saw, I'm still
trying to figure it out!

Reply #12 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 4:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
My nomination for Spencer's group:
F-ast                    A-sking            I-n
A-cting                 B-rainteasers    T-ampa
G-urus                  O-ver
H-oping            U-nproven
E-verything       D-esigns
D-evelops

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. All my programming went well today and I have a little extra time to ? Tongue

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #13 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 4:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
ROFLOL

OK, Niceberg, now take that "talent?" and put it to some real use........

I'm going to start a separate thread asking for help coming up with some name recommendations .. and I have a few of my own, for "starters."

I hope I'll see some of your ideas there.   Smiley

- Spencer

IP Logged

Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Reply #14 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 9:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Mark!

It is good to hear that a built in webserver is in the works. Can I ask why it is the least likely feature to make it into 2.0? Is this because of the amount of work or difficulty thereof ? Or is it a matter of priority?

Are you building the webserver from scratch or  trying to modify  something already out there to be apart of  Sesame?

Frederick

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print