Normal Topic Best way to proceed? (Read 803 times)
Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Best way to proceed?
Dec 30th, 2005 at 2:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Since I'm just learning how to use Sesame, I'm taking things one step at a time, and working on individual databases, getting the look of the forms set the way I like it, entering the programming, etc.  I've already merged two databases into a single application and they seems to be working well together.

I'd like some general advice on the best way to approach all this before I get too far and find myself in a trap.  I'm still having some trouble with the nomenclature distinguishing "Application" from "Database" from "Form" and "Field", especially as to how they all tie together when programming lookups.

One specific question is this...if I write a lookup or @lookup to retrieve values from, say, Zipcode.db (which exists as it's own application) will I need to re-write it all when I move Zipcode.db into the umbrella application, which contains the forms which reference it?

Here's the tree structure of an application/database I'm working on: http://captaininfinity.us/tree.jpg.  The name of the file that opens this is equipmnt.db.  The application is named EQUIPMNT.  The database is named EQUIPMENT.  And it contains two forms, Equipment and Lookups.  Am I understanding that all correctly?

When I merge this into my main application, am I correct in understanding that the database EQUIPMENT and the two forms are the only things that are important?  If so, should I ever, anywhere in the programming of other database forms in my main application, reference equipmnt.db or the application EQUIPMNT?

Am I proceeding in the best manner?  Or should I translate all my Q&A databases right away, merge them all into a single application, and <b>then</b> do the programming?

Any help getting this through my thick skull would be appreciated?

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Re: Best way to proceed?
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 8:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sigh.  No one wants to touch this, and I can't say I blame you. Undecided

Really, though, all I need to know is if I should continue working on the programming of separate databases and then merge them or if I should merge everything first and then edit the programming.  Any advice would be most appreciated.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 8:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I'd like some general advice on the best way to approach all this before I get too far and find myself in a trap.  I'm still having some trouble with the nomenclature distinguishing "Application" from "Database" from "Form" and "Field", especially as to how they all tie together when programming lookups.

Appendix 4 covers what some of those are, what they mean, and how they are different. It starts on page 475 of the Sesame 1.1 User Guide.

In Basic Terms

Applications contain Databases.
Databases have Fields.
Databases have Forms.
Forms display data from Fields, in the same Database, in Layout Elements.

Quote:
One specific question is this...if I write a lookup or @lookup to retrieve values from, say, Zipcode.db (which exists as it's own application) will I need to re-write it all when I move Zipcode.db into the umbrella application, which contains the forms which reference it?

Yes you will need to re-write the XLookups as they reference the Application filename which is Zipcode.db. When you merge Zipcode.db into your other db file you will need to change everyplace where the code references Zipcode.db to reference the current DB file.

Why merge Zipcode into your umbrella application? Is there any specific reason to merge it? You may be better off leaving it in it's own separate DB file.

Quote:
Here's the tree structure of an application/database I'm working on: http://captaininfinity.us/tree.jpg. ; The name of the file that opens this is equipmnt.db. 

I'm going to have to take your word on that one as I can not see the title bar in that picture.

Quote:
The application is named EQUIPMNT. 

Yes that is the Application Title.

Quote:
The database is named EQUIPMENT. 

Yes

Quote:
And it contains two forms, Equipment and Lookups.

Yes

Quote:
When I merge this into my main application, am I correct in understanding that the database EQUIPMENT and the two forms are the only things that are important?  If so, should I ever, anywhere in the programming of other database forms in my main application, reference equipmnt.db or the application EQUIPMNT?

The Database Equipment, the Forms, and the Reports are what is going to merge into your Main Application. If you are going to merge them all together then No you should not use the name equipmnt.db in X-Commands as once you merge them all together the forms you want to grab data from are not in that DB file.

Quote:
Am I proceeding in the best manner?  Or should I translate all my Q&A databases right away, merge them all into a single application, and <b>then</b> do the programming?

Each person is going to have a different way of doing the same task. If this one works for you then it works. I personally like to work one little piece at a time like you are doing.

But once again I am going to question you, Why merge all the files together? For example if Zipcode is rarely opened for editing purposes, why merge it into your main application? Your load times will be slower as every time you open your umbrella application you are going to be loading the Zipcode Database.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 8:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sigh.  No one wants to touch this, and I can't say I blame you. Undecided

Really, though, all I need to know is if I should continue working on the programming of separate databases and then merge them or if I should merge everything first and then edit the programming.  Any advice would be most appreciated.

I actually was busy typing a response when you posted. It just took me a long time to type it all up. Don't worry I did not forget about you.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 9:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Ray, your help is always appreciated.

Quote:
But once again I am going to question you, Why merge all the files together? For example if Zipcode is rarely opened for editing purposes, why merge it into your main application? Your load times will be slower as every time you open your umbrella application you are going to be loading the Zipcode Database.

I was unaware of the slowness factor, thanks for letting me know.  I think I'll follow your advice and merge just the Customer/Invoice/Workorder databases, and leave the rest free standing.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Infinity
Members

Diagonally parked in a
parallel dimension

Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 9:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Following your advice I've changed my programming to perform XLOOKUPs to the external Zipcode.db.  It's working well.

What's the best way to now remove the ZIPCODE that I merged into my umbrella application?  Is it just Manage A Database->Manage Fields->Delete Database?

AdvTHANKSance.

Captain Infinity
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 9:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is it just Manage A Database->Manage Fields->Delete Database?

Yup.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged