Normal Topic Hurricane Katrina Relief (Read 2369 times)
Forum Admin
YaBB Administrator

Hurricane Katrina Relief
Aug 31st, 2005 at 3:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
If anyone wants to help out...  Sad

American Red Cross
National Disaster Relief Fund Donation Page
https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

-----&&Erika Yoxall&&Forum Administrator

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Hurricane Katrina Relief
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 9:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Has anyone heard from TJ?

How did he end up from this storm?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 1:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Has anyone heard from TJ?

How did he end up from this storm?

He's fine. He lives outside of the area where the storm hit. He saw some rain, but not much damage.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 4:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erica, glad to hear that.

I have not seen his presence here recently, and it wasn't until the storm that I realized that.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 5:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Pretend that you don't know if he is okay and that he might be in desperate need of help. Drop a few bucks on the Red Cross. If TJ needed a blanket or a bottle of water, they'd be the ones handing to him. $10 would buy a day's worth of groceries for him and his family.

American Red Cross
National Disaster Relief Fund Donation Page
https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

putermann

No personal text

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 6:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi All;
I just finally got the old puter back up and running tonight for the first time since 8/29. I'm in Eastern Jackson County Ms. (Pascagoula) which was on the far Eastern fringe of Katrina. This was far and away the worst storm in history even for this area. We had sustained winds (for many hours) in excess of 100 mph and got storm surge from the Gulf over most of the city (up to about 3 mi. inland). That's never even come close to happening in the history of the city.

As for sending $10 to the Red Cross - if you know someone that needs it you'de be a lot better off sending it directly to them - that way it might do some good. The FEMA and Red Cross operations down here are a BAD joke.

Putermann..

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 2:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
As for sending $10 to the Red Cross - if you know someone that needs it you'de be a lot better off sending it directly to them - that way it might do some good. The FEMA and Red Cross operations down here are a BAD joke.

Putermann..

I am saddened to hear that.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the Red Cross is normally an amazing organization that helps many. The volunteers are the most dedicated and usually the best trained. I believe in the long run the money donated to the Red Cross will be used wisely and end up in the hands of people who need it in the form of food water and other necessities.

Hopefully the stories like you have shared and the ones on the news will turn out Not to be the norm, but be isolated incidences. I can only hope and truly believe that there are many people out there today that have been helped by others generosity.

Either way it is good to hear you are safe.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

putermann

No personal text

Reply #7 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 3:44am
Print Post Print Post  
Please don't misunderstand - I don't condem the Red Cross - they are a good organization. Rather I am, as are many others, critical of the "system" and the gross lack of organazation and cordanation of all the agencies. There is a Red Cross presense here - they're doing all the mechanical things you see them routinally do - there vehicles roam the neighborhoods dispensing food and other aid. What I'm refering to is the lack of effective personal recovery aid. Some three weeks after the fact and they have yet to establish an actual office in this area for people to go to apply for vouchers or any other type of help. All you have is an 800 number to call which is an exercise in futility. The Red Cross actually has a permanent office here in town - of course there's no one there because of damage to the building. Even FEMA finally got two local offices opened last Saturday and Sunday. I manage a retail bedding speciality store that's part of a small locally owned chain on the Coast. My store has been back in operation for about a week now. I have yet to have the very first person come in with a Red Cross voucher for bedding - something we expected to be flooded with by now based on past experience.

Certainly there has never been a natual disaster of this magnitude in the history of the country. And certainly that makes a difference. However, on the other hand, four years after 911 things should have been a LOT better organized. If we should have a large scale terrorist attack we would face very similar problems as we have with Katrina. I certainly hope THIS time we learn some serious lessons. You can bet there are those around the world that would love to do us harm that are sitting back and observing the current situation and the weaknesses they see - can you imagine if we had a serious attack anywhere in the country right now or the near future? God help us all !

Putermann..

IP Logged