Normal Topic Is Sesame the right tool ... (Read 1246 times)
ggathens

No personal text

Is Sesame the right tool ...
Jun 27th, 2005 at 7:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am a Sesame newbie.

I have an existing database application written in Cobol with 70 files, 500 programs and 300.000 data records (annual).

It works fine in network environment with 8 PC (MS-DOS window)  and a dedicated Windows Server 2003.

I have recently purchased  Sesame Personal V1. for evaluation use. After 10 days of evaluation,  I am sure that Sesame has no problem with greek fonts (it is very important for me). 

So, I would like to use it as a development tool (upgrade in client/server version) to transfer all the above (data + programs).

This is a big project and I have to know if Sesame is the right tool (speed and volume of data) to do that. 

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Is Sesame the right tool ...
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 8:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Make sure you have lots of RAM in your server to ensure that the volume of data is not a problem.

Do you have any way of calculating how many bytes of data you have total?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

ggathens

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 6:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
As an effort to explain the above:

The application consists of 5 Modules:
General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Inventory Control, Invoicing Control.

The total file size is about 150MB annually.

Approximately 65% of this size, that is 98MB, is distributed to 2 of the 70 files.

The first one includes General Ledger Transactions (details), has a record size of 236 bytes and represents the 45% of the 98MB, which is 44MB. The second one includes Inventory Transactions (details), has a record size of 253 bytes and represents the 55% of the 98MB, which is 54MB.

All files are indexed, both data and indexes are included in one file, the first one has 5 keys and the second one 6. Apparently, the above represent the basic data files of the application, and daily, many users access to those at the same time.

Until now, for reasons that concern the greek tax system, Clients, Suppliers and Accounts exist into 1 file and so do their transactions.

During the new design do we have to separate them to 3 files?

Can we make an estimation about the necessary RAM on the Server and on a typical workstation PC?

Thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 7:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Can we make an estimation about the necessary RAM on the Server and on a typical workstation PC?

Yes. The workstation (client) PC would not have to be anything special. Sesame does almost all of the work on the server.

The server, given the numbers you are relaying, would have to have a fair amount of RAM - though not unusually large amounts. It sounds like you have fixed sized records/fields. Sesame will actually shrink this requirement considerably in that we use variable lengths for both records and fields - only using as much space as is actually containing data. With 150 Mb of actual data, I would recommend at least 512 Mb of RAM - and it would only benefit to go for a full gigabyte. It is actually getting pretty hard to find a server configured with less than 512. A reasonably modern harddrive and a > 2 Mhz  CPU would complete the picture nicely. Sesame is multithreaded so you might want to look into a multicore or hyperthreading Pentium or AMD.

The next thing to be taken into consideration is the programming requirements. It sounds like your system is a programmed set of a fixed files. Some of that programming may well be unnecessary in that Sesame's engine will take care of much of it automatically. And the clients/form will take care of some of the user interface programming.

Have you looked through the manuals to determine what portions of the requirements would still require SBasic programming, and which portions could be handled by the Sesame engine and client without additional programming?

Quote:
During the new design do we have to separate them to 3 files?

No, but you may want to. If the information in the files is closely associated and will be used frequently in concert - then you will want to combine the files into a single application. If the information is used separately, usually - then you may want three (or more) separate applications.

IP Logged

ggathens

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 1:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
1. Yes, the records and the fields are all fixed length.

2. I will try, giving you an example, to make more clear my question about the number of applications (one or more).

Example.
Sales department creates Sales invoice.
Each invoice creates up to 6 account transactions and a number (=Inventory items in the invoice) of inventory transactions (out).

Purchases department inputs Purchases receiving.
Each receiving creates up to 6 account transactions and a number (=Inventory items in the receiving) of inventory transactions (in).

The only difference between those 2 modules is that the 1st one has to do with Clients, Sales, Sales Discounts, Sales VAT accounts and the 2nd one has to do with Suppliers, Purchase, Purchase Discounts, Purchase VAT accounts.

Until now, all the above account transactions are in one data file, so do the inventory transactions.

During the new design, if I have 2 separate applications, is there a way to talk each other sending and receiving data?

Is there a way, a program or a repot, retrieve data from two or more Sesame applications concurrently?

Thanks again

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 2:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
During the new design, if I have 2 separate applications, is there a way to talk each other sending and receiving data?

Yes - several.

Quote:
Is there a way, a program or a repot, retrieve data from two or more Sesame applications concurrently?

Forms and reports are very programmable and there are several ways to gather info across applications via programming. If you look in the programming manual for "X" command (external commands), you will find the XLookup family of commands, as well as the XPost family. These are used to move information across databases and applications.

Additionally there is an entirely external program called Sesame Extractor that can derive information from a Sesame application standalone.

IP Logged

ggathens

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 9:53am
Print Post Print Post  
I would like to have a read-only database that gathers records from others.
Can I define the data structure using SBasic without having a layout?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 1:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
No. But you can have a read only layout that gathers information from other databases. Sesame is "form based" and SBasic is attached to a layout. In other words the layout is the mechanism or base from which SBasic is built to run. You can, on the other hand, use either SBasic or the standalone extractor to derive information from multiple applications or databases into a file that can then be used by Sesame or other executable applications.

IP Logged