Normal Topic Cannot seem to fill "none" (Read 4160 times)
digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Cannot seem to fill "none"
Jan 12th, 2005 at 4:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am drawing a form and some of the elements can overlap slightly causing a misaligned text box to vanish a chunk of line in the box I drew to contain the elements. I click on fill "none" and it makes no difference. 
A similar issue is text boxes that sometimes won't change from down to flat by just selecting the option. I did get them to change by picking another text box that was already flat and using the make like me function.

I can work around this by being precice but can be frustrating sometimes since the "none" option is there and, right now, I am just throwing thing around to see what works where.

So much time and so little to do . . . strike that, reverse it.
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Re: Cannot seem to fill "none"
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 4:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
A seperate thought, would it ever be possible to group elements? I have boxes with several text boxes, set to flat, inside and they would be easier to work with if they were a single unit for form design purposes.

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 5:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I am drawing a form and some of the elements can overlap slightly causing a misaligned text box to vanish a chunk of line in the box I drew to contain the elements. I click on fill "none" and it makes no difference. 
A similar issue is text boxes that sometimes won't change from down to flat by just selecting the option. I did get them to change by picking another text box that was already flat and using the make like me function.

I can work around this by being precice but can be frustrating sometimes since the "none" option is there and, right now, I am just throwing thing around to see what works where.

A Text Box cannot be set to Fill None because the text box cannot work  properly with a transparent background. It won't be able to draw properly as you type into it.

I recommend making the box containing the elements slightly larger instead, so that there is no overlap.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 5:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
A seperate thought, would it ever be possible to group elements? I have boxes with several text boxes, set to flat, inside and they would be easier to work with if they were a single unit for form design purposes.

This is something I'd like to have. It's on our list, and is likely to be implemented in a future version. Meanwhile, you may be able to achieve something similar by using a Tab Group with a single page.

- Hammer
IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 5:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanx, I have been spending an extra 5-10 minutes "tidying up" everytime I need to show the form to someone. I am working with very little wiggle room though. I'm glad the group objects thing may show up. I do alot of layout on publishing programs and keep trying to do things that don't work in sesame. Like bring to front, that would solve the problem of overlap too. I 1st thought having graphics always be on top would be nice but I just realized I might put a full screen picture with all the lines on the page and place fields over them. (I am trying to avoid merging because I cannot get it to do what I want, pitiful huh?)

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2005 at 7:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Merging into Word has been working awfully well. If you have specific questions, we'll be glad to help. In addition, you can use the PrintString, PrintBox and PrintImage commands from SBasic to produce some very nice documents.

Something like that may work out better for you than trying to tweak an onscreen form to come out of a printer "just so". Especially if it's a complex and tight form, as you indicate you have.

- Hammer
IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 8:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
I know I need to merge. I can get it to work manually but I need it to work on a button. The Master's disk has a sample that uses a macro but my macros always do wild things. I think it is a matter of being in the right place when you click the button and I KNOW the people who will be using the program can't be trusted to do that so I nixed that option. I can use printscreen but have yet to decipher the programming on the sample to do a merge. I never did any programming until about 3 weeks before the conf. I guess it is homework time Wink
Thanx
~Natalie
ps: I usually have about 4 hours a week to play with the program. This week is an exception.

YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 9:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I know I need to merge. I can get it to work manually but I need it to work on a button.

I do my merge routines using SBasic, rather than a recorded macro. That way, I can make sure I'm where I need to be before doing the merge.

Again, if you hit a wall while working on this, feel free to ask and we'll try to help.

- Hammer
IP Logged