Normal Topic XLR and Security (Read 968 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

XLR and Security
Nov 29th, 2004 at 1:42am
Print Post Print Post  
Working on a simple application, one database, one form.  Security set up for all four Groups.  Suddenly, I noticed that my KEY field (Record) was not incrementing.  (It may have been happening for a while).

Here is the formula: Quote:
Record = @ToNumber(@XLR(@FN,999999,"frmContacts!Record","Record")) + 1
It has been used for years in Q&A and shown on this forum multiple times.

I spent HOURS trying to find out why XLR was not working to increment number in Record:

I removed IF statements so it would execute all the time.
Syntax was correct. 
"Formname!element was included". 
Quotes were added and removed to second element around "999999". 
@TN was in place to convert from a string. 
Swapped destination field from number to text and back again. 
Added MSGBOXes to check results. 
Confirmed I was getting @ERROR with the XLR.   (Someday I will force myself to ALWAYS include a check for @ERROR after every XLU type of command).

I finally discovered the following situation:  Security seems to play a role.

If I use the Security Manager and add a valid user name and password for the XLU functions, then the XLR started working again. 
OK, since XLR is a member of the XLU family, maybe it is needed here even though it is looking at itself.  But now, even stranger, if I remove the XLU name and password, then the XLR function is still working. 

So to make XLR work with Security it seems to be necessary to add a user for XLU, even if you remove it afterwords.

Using Version 1.0.5 Beta.  I have no idea why this is happening, but I was able to do this on two different applications.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: XLR and Security
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2004 at 5:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Bob,

I was unable to get this to happen here. Are you removing the X Username and X Password or are you completely removing the User that you were using as the X User and leaving in the X Username and Password?

If you are just removing the X Username and X Password by blanking them out, you are not actually removing them. If you go back into the security manager you will see that they are still there. This is why you can still access the application after clearing them out. I am not sure if this behavior is correct, I will check with the Development Team and get back with you.

It is necessary to have a X Username and Password in order to use any of the X Family Commands even if you are looking into the same application.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged