Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Assertion Failed (Read 13622 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Assertion Failed
Sep 12th, 2004 at 11:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Something new for you to look at.

Tabbing across fields in a subform, the following error message window came up.

Caption = Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
=========================
Contents=
Quote:
"Assertion failed"

Program: MyLocalPath\Sesame.exe
File: superblock.h
Line: 274

Expression: _numblocks > 0

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the C++ documentation on asserts.

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)

Three buttons: Abort, Retry, Ignore

==========================
I did a screen capture before proceeding.  When got back to screen after saving screenshot the Sesame Database Manager program closed.  When trying to reopen application, got message that application failed to open.  Had to unlock with Administrator.

Will make a copy in case you need at this point of development.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Assertion Failed
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 12:24am
Print Post Print Post  
It's a memory error, but we can't tell specifically why it occured without more detail.

Can you send in the app with steps to reproduce?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 1:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Application has been sent.

Also noted new problem since that error.   The elements on the form disappear in the Designer.  When designer opens to modify the form, all looks good.  but any mouse click in the form make all elements disappear.  Various clicking will bring an object visible, but clicking somewhere else may hide that (or not) and another element will be visible.  Details are in the email with the application.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 1:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Application has been sent.

Also noted new problem since that error.   The elements on the form disappear in the Designer.  When designer opens to modify the form, all looks good.  but any mouse click in the form make all elements disappear.  Various clicking will bring an object visible, but clicking somewhere else may hide that (or not) and another element will be visible.  Details are in the email with the application.

Bob,

We're trying to reproduce your crash, but the problem you mention above is an easy fix. You've sized your Form a bit too small to contain your Tabs, so they are acting funny. Tabs want a bit of "breathing room".

Open up your Form. Click on the canvas. Use Shift + Rt Arrow and Shift + Dn Arrow to increase the size of your Form. 

That should fix your Designer issue.

- Hammer
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 7:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

I have similar problems as you described. I have found whenever using tabs it is very important to pay close attention to the overall size of the tab in relation to what is on the tab also if you are dragging elements onto a tab page, pay close attention that the elements you are placing on the tabs are completely on the tab page before releasing the mouse key. It really helps to read the screen and make sure element says parenting to tab page X.

My experience with tabs and subforms on tabs is to save your work frequently so it is simple to go back a step and start over. There is unique nuance with tabs that makes it seem unstable however I find more often then not it is my error that creates the problem. If you have lots of tabs it becomes easy to have the wrong tab open. I think I put an element somewhere but in reality I put it on the wrong tab or missed the tab completely and it is hidden under my tab element.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 7:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
For what it's worth, I see that the need to "pay attention" to this is causing some difficulties. We're in feature freeze for 1.0.5, but I'll look into making the current parent visually highlighted in some way for a future version.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2004 at 11:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Still having memory problems.  Happening since my first messsage re Assertion Failure.  No problem in this application (over 2 months) before that happened

In middle of design, colors disappear.  Get cascading error messages that "cannot put down pen", or something like that, did not write down.  Have to use Close Programs to close Sesame.  Happened twice in last hour.  After Sesame was ShutDown the last time, I still had winmgmt.exe program running.  I mention this because this is not usually running when all program are closed.

To improve speed in compiling and saving designs I had moved DSR files from File Server to local machine.  I have all other programs closed except some resident SysTray things like anti-virus, anti-spam, launch tools, etc.

I am now at the point of move an element, Save Design, move an element, Save, Change label, Save.......impossible way to work, but cannot afford loss of work. 

I am getting ready to reinstall Sesame.  I will copy existing folder in case there are any files that you want for diagnosis.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 12:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Reinstalled Sesame and Sesame Designer. 

Just got same problem.  Cascading 25 copies of the following error: Quote:
f1_line_Style():Could not create GDI pen.

Did CTL-ALT-DEL to stop errors.

Selected Errors to Close, got following Windows Error message:

Quote:
SDesigner.exe has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL.

WinMgmt.exe was not seen in Close Program this time.

Rebooting system again......

Have also scanned system with two anti-virus and two spyware programs, system checks out free.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 10:34am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

You're working on Win98 right? 95/98/WinME have some "resource management problems" that cause them to not return memory and resources (like GDI pens) to the system. For a quick fix, using 2000 or better should make this go away. Meanwhile, we'll check and see if Designer is dropping pens.

- Hammer
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 11:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob

WhenI had win98 I had Resource problems alot I found a memory manager that really I could not believe the difference it made in win-98, maybe this would be the cheapest way to solve your problem.

http://www.memturbo.com/ Wink

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 12:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

This is probably a silly question but have you tried the application on another win98 machine to see how it responds?

I have a Sesame app running well on a win 98 machine, If you like I could load your app on it and see if I start getting the same errors. Maybe that would show that some combination of things in your app is causing the problem as opposed to the machine having the problem.  At least we can start pinpointing the problem.

Keep us posted as to your progress.  Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 4:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for all suggestions.

I have moved my problem application to an XP system.

I have been running for a few hours on WinXP, SP-1 with no crashes so far.  I have the luxury of multiple OS here, but my client does not.  I try to simulate client's environment when possible.  If WIN98 (any version) is a problem, then I think it needs to be addressed.  I know you will be doing that.  Let me know if I can help as a test site.  We can set up a pcAnyWhere connection if you want to see real time on this system.  There are still millions of them out there.

My client has reported some crashes of this application on their system.  Did not make notes of messages for me.  I will be trying this application on another WIN98 system, but this is work for a client, with deadlines.  I don't have the luxury to diagnose like I would for my own use.  But on the other hand, I cannot deliver them an application that may have problems on their system. 

My real concern is if the Sesame files are damaged somehow.  I don't want to put more work into this file and then find I might have to do some redesigns all over again.
===========================

To proudpoppy.  Thanks for reference to MemTurbo.  Already using it.  Have been a registered user of that for  many years.  If you are also a long time user, you should know that they had an update about four months ago.  But no notice sent out to users.  I stumbled across that when I went to get it for someone else.  If you have old version, may want to upgrade.  Current version is 3.0

I had MemTurbo enabled and disabled once I was told it might be a memory problem.  That made no difference. 

========================
To BOBSCOTT  I may take you up on testing this on your machine for me.  Watch your Messages.  Thanks.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 5:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If WIN98 (any version) is a problem, then I think it needs to be addressed.

The main problem with 95/98/WinME is that MS won't fix their bugs and limitations. In this particular case the 9 series severely limits the number of available pens (and brushes, and file handles, and any other resource you can think of). Push MSWord hard enough, and it will run out of pens.

We will check if we are leaking pens. It may be that there is some particular sequence that you are doing that is allowing a pen to slip through.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 6:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
It may be that there is some particular sequence that you are doing that is allowing a pen to slip through.

This has been primarily when I have two forms open for redesign at same time, moving back and forth with bottom tabs.  I have been using X,Y positions, colors, and dimensions on form1 to use as reference to position elements on form2.  I am not adding elements, but moving, resizing, coloring, etc. , changing their properties.  Both forms have 2 tabs, but most work is being done on first tab,  page 0.

Don't recall any specific action that tirggers problem.  Don't think it makes a difference if sngle element or multiple elements are tagged for action.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2004 at 7:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've got a little utility that tracks resource usage, I'll try something similar and see if Sesame is dropping pens.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print