Normal Topic Inserting an Image into Q&A Write (Read 1276 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

Inserting an Image into Q&A Write
Nov 17th, 2004 at 2:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have not converted my check database over to Sesame yet, so I am still using Q&A to print my checks. I want to have my signature image print with the Write document that prints my checks. Q&A 5.0 is supposed to support .bmp and .pcx files with the *GRAPH* command, but it always reports that "This file is damaged or invalid". The Bitmap.exe utility that came with Q&A 5.0 can display the file, so it must not be damaged.

Has anyone had success using the *GRAPH* command with a bitmap image?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Inserting an Image into Q&A Write
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 1:18am
Print Post Print Post  
I figured out how to get Q&A to print a graphic, thanks to an article by Bob Hansen in The Quick Answer, published way back in March of 1996.

The trick was to convert the image to Q&A's *.bin format using Biitmap.exe. Unfortunately, it also converts the image to 75 dots per inch, which is really crude for a signature. And, on top of that, Q&A won't print any other text on the same line as the image. The memo and the signature lines are on the same line of my checks. As far as I'm concerned, in the light of these two issues, this has turned out to be completely unacceptable.

I do plan on converting my checkbook database to Sesame. But, in the mean time, I have a work-around for Q&A: I simply run the checks through the printer a 2nd time, using Word to print just the signature.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Inserting an Image into Q&A Write
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2004 at 4:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Carl.....

Thanks for the reminder about that article.  As I recall there were a number of issues to overcome with the bitmap images.  I will have to dig out that old issue, I am sure I have it here. 

But off the top of my head, my recollection is that I ultimately ended up using Q&A for Windows to do the best printing of bitmap images.  Again, I wll try to refresh myself on my experiences in that area......

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged