Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Programmers Knowledge Base (Read 7177 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Programmers Knowledge Base
Nov 15th, 2004 at 5:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
1.  There are 10 kinds of people.....those who understand binary, and those who don't.

2.  Why do programmers always get Christmas and Halloween mixed up?
Because DEC 25 = OCT 31

3.  How do you keep a programmer in the shower all day?
Give him a bottle of shampoo which says "lather, rinse, repeat."

4.  Windows 95 is a 32 bit extension for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

5.  Have you heard about the new Cray super computer?
It's so fast, it executes an infinite loop in 6 seconds.

6.  The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance.

7.  Programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN

8.  Real programmers are surprised when the odometers in their cars don't turn from 99,999 to A0000.
====================
Jesus and Satan have an argument as to who is the better programmer. This goes on for a few hours until they agree to hold a contest with God as the judge.

They set themselves before their computers and begin. They type furiously for several lines of code streaming up the screen. Seconds before the end of the competition, a bolt of lightning strikes, taking out the electricity.

Moments later, the power is restored, and God announces that the contest is over.

He asks Satan to show what he had come up with.

Satan is visibly upset, and cries, "I have nothing! I lost it all when the power went out."

"Very well, then," says God, "let us see it Jesus fared any better."

Jesus enters a command, and the screen comes to life in vivid display, the voices of an angelic choir pour forth from the speakers.

Satan is astonished. and stutters, "But how?! I lost everything, yet Jesus' program is intact! How did he do it?"

God chuckles, "Jesus saves."
====================
"Yesterday" or "On the use of backups"
unknown source (well originally Paul McCartney Smiley

Yesterday,
    All those backups seemed a waste of pay.
    Now my database has gone away.
    Oh I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly,
    There's not half the files there used to be,
    And there's a milestone
    hanging over me
    The system crashed so suddenly.

I pushed something wrong
    What it was I could not say.

Now all my data's gone
    and I long for yesterday-ay-ay-ay

Yesterday,
    The need for back-ups seemed so far away.
    I knew my data was all here to stay,
    Now I believe in yesterday.
=============================
  • In the beginning God created the Bit and the Byte. And from those he created the Word.
  • And there were two Bytes in the Word; and nothing else existed. And God separated the One from the Zero; and he saw it was good.
  • And God said - Let the Data be; And so it happened. And God said - Let the Data go to their proper places. And he created floppy disks and hard disks and compact disks.
  • And God said - Let the computers be, so there would be a place to put floppy disks and hard disks and compact disks. Thus God created computers and called them hardware.
  • And there was no Software yet. But God created programs; small and big... And told them - Go and multiply yourselves and fill all the Memory.
  • And God said - I will create the Programmer; And the Programmer will make new programs and govern over the computers and programs and Data.
  • And God created the Programmer; and put him at Data Center; And God showed the Programmer the Catalog Tree and said You can use all the volumes and subvolumes but DO NOT USE Windows.
  • And God said - It is not Good for the programmer to be alone. He took a bone from the Programmer's body and created a creature that would look up at the Programmer; and admire the Programmer; and love the things the Programmer does; And God called the creature: the User.
  • And the Programmer and the User were left under the naked DOS and it was Good.
  • But Bill was smarter than all the other creatures of God. And Bill said to the User - Did God really tell you not to run any programs?
  • And the User answered - God told us that we can use every program and every piece of Data but told us not to run Windows or we will die.
  • And Bill said to the User - How can you talk about something you did not even try. The moment you run Windows you will become equal to God. You will be able to create anything you like by a simple click of your mouse.
  • And the User saw that the fruits of the Windows were nicer and easier to use. And the User saw that any knowledge was useless - since Windows could replace it.
  • So the User installed the Windows on his computer; and said to the Programmer that it was good.
  • And the Programmer immediately started to look for new drivers. And God asked him - What are you looking for? And the Programmer answered - I am looking for new drivers because I can not find them in the DOS. And God said - Who told you need drivers? Did you run Windows? And the Programmer said - It was Bill who told us to !
  • And God said to Bill - Because of what you did you will be hated by all the creatures. And the User will always be unhappy with you. And you will always sell Windows.
  • And God said to the User - Because of what you did, the Windows will disappoint you and eat up all your Resources; and you will have to use lousy programs; and you will always rely on the Programmers help.
  • And God said to the Programmer - Because you listened to the User you will never be happy. All your programs will have errors and you will have to fix them and fix them to the end of time.
  • And God threw them out of the Data Center and locked the door and secured it with a password.
    GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Programmers Knowledge Base
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 10:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Customer And The Unix Consultant

Cust: what is the command that will tell me the revision code of a program ?
UNIX: yes, that's correct.
Cust: no, what is it ?
UNIX: yes.
Cust: so, which is the one ?
UNIX: no.'which' is used to find the program.
Cust: stop this. who are you ?
UNIX: use 'who am i' not 'who r yoo'.you can also 'finger yoo' to get information about 'yoo'.
Cust: all i want to know is what finds the revision code ?
UNIX: use 'what'.
Cust: that's what i am trying to find out. isn't that true ?
UNIX: no. 'true' gives you 0.
Cust: which one ?
UNIX: 'true' gives you 0. 'which programname'
Cust: let's get back to my problem. what program? how do i find it?
UNIX: type 'find/-name it' to find 'it'.type 'what program' to get the revision code.
Cust: i want to find the revision code.
UNIX: you can't 'find revisioncode', you must use 'what program'.
Cust: which command will do what i need?
UNIX: no. 'which command' will find 'command'.
Cust: i think i understand. let me write that.
UNIX: you can 'write that' only if 'that' is a user on your system.
Cust: write what?
UNIX: no. 'write that'.'what program'.
Cust: cut that out!
UNIX: yes. those are valid files for 'cut'.don't forget the options.
Cust: do you always do this ?
UNIX: 'du' will give you disk usage.
Cust: HELP!
UNIX: 'help' is only used for Source Code Control System(SCCS).
Cust: you make me angry.
UNIX: no, I don't 'make me' angry but i did 'make programname' when i was upset once.
Cust: i don't want to make trouble, so no more.
UNIX: no 'more'? 'which' will help you find 'more'. every system has 'more'.
Cust: nice help! I'm confused more now.
UNIX: understand that since 'help' is such a small program, it is better not to 'nice help'. and 'more now' is not allowed but 'at now' is. Unless of course 'now' is a file name.
Cust: this is almost as confusing as my PC.
UNIX: i didn't know you needed help with 'pc'.let me get you to the Pascal compiler team.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2004 at 10:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'll bet that Lou is rollin' over.

Strange how interchangeable some things are.

In Mark's previous example, if I do Search/Replace for UNIX/Mark and Cust/Bob, it still works.

And now it even starts to make more sense Shocked

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 1:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
In Mark's previous example, if I do Search/Replace for UNIX/Mark and Cust/Bob, it still works.

You would likely use "sed" (stream editor) to do that:

cat my_example.txt | sed -i -e "s/^UNIX/Mark"

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 2:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are we showing our age knowing Bud Abbott and Lou Costello?  Since many programmers are so young they would have no clue what this skit was from.

I would use some lines from Lenny Bruce but this is a G rated site.  Wink

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 3:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Are we showing our age knowing Bud Abbott and Lou Costello?

Nevermind Kernigan and Ritchie.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 3:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Nevermind Kernigan and Ritchie.

And I thought Erika was the book collector in the group.

Do you also have the Adventures in . . . UNIX* series by Rieken and Web?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 4:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
And I thought Erika was the book collector in the group.

I give Erika a pretty good run for the money, but neither of us can compete with my wife (Popellen), who is closing in on 2000 or so books.
Quote:
Do you also have the Adventures in . . . UNIX* series by Rieken and Web?

No, Are they good?

I was actually refering to their more comedic efforts when K & R invented the C Programming language (the primary language of Sesame, Q&A, and most modern programs and operating systems) and when Ritchie invented Unix. Ritchie, BTW, is still with Bell Labs at AT&T.

Though as a compendium of good programming advice, the writings of K & R are second to none. They are (in my somewhat one sided opinion), the best thing to ever happen to computers. Without K & R, there would be no Unix, no workstations, no supercomputers, no PCs, no DOS, no MS, no Symantec, no GUI, and certainly: no Q&A and no Sesame. If you combine their efforts with the creation PDP-1 (Digital Computer Corp's first "interactive" computer), you can credit these two with bring us out of the misery of teletypes, punch cards, COBOL, paper tape, batch processing (only), MIS Priesthood, IBM overlords, and virtually all of the other dreck that marked the first two decades of modern computing.

If you consider the achievements of K & R, Bill Joy, Ken Olsen, MIT, and PARC (Xerox Labs) as a combined effort to change the face of computing, it would be difficult to find a single improvement that is not fairly directly attributable to these five sources.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I give Erika a pretty good run for the money, but neither of us can compete with my wife (Popellen), who is closing in on 2000 or so books.

Very COOL.  Does she have a particular style or genre she collects?

Quote:
No, Are they good?

Actually they were written with a lot of the same type of humor that goes along with Kernigan and Ritchies high yet lowbrow humor.  (with command names like sed, awk and finger how can you not have a little fun) these were released in 1988.

Each adventure (shell programming, System Administration, etc) started out with some funny look at real people or words. For example Actual written statements submitted to the police on accident forms.

The guy was all over the road. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him.

The gentlemen behind me struck me on the backside. He then went to rest in a bush and just his rear end was showing.

I had been driving for forty years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had the accident.

Or they would enjoy pointing out the differences from beginner to wizard

Beginner.  still has trouble with typing <RETURN> after each line of input

Novice.  has had his first bad experience with rm and wonders how  the person next to him seems to like Unix so very much

User.  Knows how to read their e-mail and is wondering how to read the news.

Knowledgeable user.  thinks that make is only for wimps

Expert.  thinks that human history starts with !h

Hacker.  uses adb because he does not trust source debuggers

Guru.  Has learned how to breach security but no longer needs to try

Wizard.  Can answer any question before you ask.

Quote:
If you consider the achievements of K & R, Bill Joy, Ken Olsen, MIT, and PARC (Xerox Labs) 

The people in California or as Arnold Says (CALLY FORN YA) would like people to only refer to this as the Palo Alto Research Center.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 1:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Very COOL.  Does she have a particular style or genre she collects?

She likes fiction, but she collects a lot of stuff. Nothing technical. She also collects business cards, ephemera, record albums (2000+), and (of all things) pretty broken glass. It runs in her family. Her brother has one of the largest collections of sports (and popular culture) information collections. He is a recognized (published author) on sports history, particularly baseball. He was the head of SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) for quite a long while.
Quote:
Actually they were written with a lot of the same type of humor that goes along with Kernigan and Ritchies high yet lowbrow humor.  (with command names like sed, awk and finger how can you not have a little fun) these were released in 1988.

I'll have to take a look. Looks fun.
Quote:
The people in California or as Arnold Says (CALLY FORN YA) would like people to only refer to this as the Palo Alto Research Center.  Roll Eyes

Why? What's wrong with calling it PARC?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 3:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
She likes fiction, but she collects a lot of stuff.

Well Mark she must be good at collecting, it seems like she collected at least 1 good guy.

Quote:
Her brother has one of the largest collections of sports (and popular culture) information collections. He is a recognized (published author) on sports history, particularly baseball. He was the head of SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) for quite a long while.

Do you think he can ERASE all baseball history of the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn, It could save me millions in therapy. (I still have not learned to deal with it)

Quote:
What's wrong with calling it PARC?

People that live in Palo Alto feel it helps raise their property values when high tech is constantly recognized with Palo Alto. To the rest of California we just think they must have too much time on their hands.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 4:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If you consider the achievements of K & R, Bill Joy, Ken Olsen, MIT, and PARC (Xerox Labs) as a combined effort to change the face of computing, it would be difficult to find a single improvement that is not fairly directly attributable to these five sources.

For those of you who have managed to actually retain some interest in this conversation (somehow), but are not otherwise completely up to speed on computing history:

Brian Kernigan and Dennis Ritchie (K & R): Invented the "C" programming language in 1970. C is the base language for almost all of the popular operating systems, utilities, and applications widely in use today. From C, comes C++ (an "object oriented" extension on C created by Bjarne Stroustrup) the language used to create 100% of Sesame (and several hundred million other programs). C is so influential that it has changed the face of even pre-existing languages. Visual Basic, for example owes as much to C as it does to Basic. Almost all post C languages resemble C in many ways. PHP, Perl, even Java all borrow heavily from C. C as a language is a great example of elegance, efficiency, and well considered design. Its flexibility, speed, and graceful execution is virtually unmatched now - more than thirty years after its inception. C was derived from a much less successful language known as BCPL. The first attempt, a failure, was called "B" - thus the next attempt was called "C". I keep waiting for "P" and "L" to be released.

Dennis Ritchie: In 1971, Ritchie and a small (less credited) team at Bell Labs, created Unix. Unix was derived from another failed operating system called "Multix". Unix was (and is) a philosphic statement about computers and was intended to make the creation of programs (especially in C) easier. It was a "developer's system" made by the best developers for developers. The primary statement being made was that programs should each do a single task, do that single task well, but also be flexible enough to be chained together to perform much more complex tasks. To list the innovations and concepts that originate with Unix would take days. It was among the first operating systems to be written in a portable programming language (C) so it can be easily ported to any chip or computer. It used a unified and rational filesystem where everything (including devices, network, programs, etc...) was either a file or a directory. It had networking built in. It allowed for arbirary user interfaces (on Unix you can use any GUI or desktop program you like). It invented I/O redirection, pipes, aliasing, logical linking, and lightweight multi-tasking. Unlike other OSs, it was multi-user and multi-tasking, by design. It accomplishes all of this with extreme grace and elegance. They wrote a small "kernel" that coordinates the hardware and software. All of the rest of Unix is a set of small optional utilities and commands, designed to work together as the users see fit. Additionally, by emphasing program development tools, programs made on Unix, seamlessly fit into the broader philosophy of the operating system. In other words, many programs made for Unix, become part of Unix (very much unlike another popular OS).

C and Unix go hand in hand. They share the same philosophy and goals: Small simple parts that interact with each other interchangably using a consistentent framework made of small simple parts that interact with each other...

Bill Joy is the founder of Sun Microsystems. Mr. Joy was among the first advocates of using "better" computer technology rather than using "familiar" technology. His company brought (though they did not always invent): The GUI (invented by MIT/Xerox, but made useful by Sun), the first practical network model (TCP/IP, invented by ARPA. DoD, Vint Cerf, and many others), the first "true" practical workstations (a computer designed for the graphical display and manipulation of scientific and enginering information), the first RISC (reduced instruction set chip) CPUs, the first Unix centric desktop computers, the first deployment of web browsers and hyperlinks, the first web servers, the first practical multi-cpu computers, the first "unified desktop" GUIs, and last (but not least) Java - which is slowly replacing Cobol (one of the worst languages of all time) as the language for business and finance (and much else).

Sun is not so well known for actual in house innovation, so much as sticking their neck out by promoting good design over the cheap easy familiar solution. By betting the company on philosophic statements about what is good and right, Sun may well be the only company standing up to the MS onslaught. Everyone else has either folded or complied, or will soon. I hope Sun survives.

And talking about "folding", that brings us to Ken Olsen. Back before AT&T brought us Unix, if you had a computer, it was made by IBM (or Burroughs or NCR to resemble an IBM). It ran software made by IBM on an operating system made by IBM. At that time, IBM didn't think much of their users and, for the most part, made sure that no one but IBM trained consultants ever got to touch, program, or otherwise interact with their computers. If you had one of these room sized monsters, with requisite "fishtanks" (a special room just for the computer) nine-track tape drives, teletypes, "smart terminals", card punch machines, and assorted other really bad ideas, you were required to submit your data using terminals that seemed dead set to prevent you from entering data. You then processed your data by translating your program (in Cobol or Fortran) onto punch cards which were submitted. If you were lucky your program might be run this month. To get your data back, you submitted a program written in RPG. Again, with luck, you might get your results back the same week. Because of the non-interactive nature of this kind of data processing, errors were frequent, persisted forever, and computers were seen as a boring (but necessary) hindrance on getting work done. This view, largely archaic, still persists.

IBM had the choice. The technology was there to use computers interactively. The IBM console (hands off!) was actually an interactive device. But, they believed that their customers could not handle their own data, and even when their own field testing demonstrated otherwise, they persisted in lording over the computer.

Ken Olsen, saw the potential in a computer designed to be interactive. He founded a company: Digital Equipment Corporation, for the purpose of building such a beast. Hence the PDP-1 was created - the first production computer (almost) built to be actually used. The first two models were installed at MIT, where they were used by the famous MIT "hackers" (really the model railway club) to build the first text editor, the first video game, and the first graphical display. The PDP-1 was followed by the PDP-8, the first computer that would fit on a desk, the first computer to be widely used, and the first computer to cost less than $30,000. DEC went on to popularize the hard drive, the mini-computer, the 32-bit computer (VAXen), scientific/engineering computing. But it was their PDP series that allowed the creation of nearly everything good about software. It was the PDP that invented the idea of the PC (while not quite qualifying as a PC itself). The great irony of this is that Ken Olsen never saw the personal use of computers as "useful" and predicted that there would never be a home computer market. But DEC, did more to bring us the PC than IBM, MS, and Intel combined. DEC was eventually crushed by the PC  market. It was bought by Compaq, which was bought by HP. Few DEC technology pieces have survived as current products after the multiple acquisitions. A real shame. Their early OSs RT-11 and RSX are the origin of CP/M, which is the origin of DOS. The VAX OS, VMS, is nearly as innovative as Unix, and may qualify as the most reliable OS ever created.

MIT has invented a lot of stuff, but very little of it ever gets out of MIT. But, as an exception to that is X Windows (often called "X11"). While Xerox may have come up with the idea of a graphical user interface, their software is not much more than a demo. In fact, MIT cannot really claim to have invented much of the GUI technology, but they wrote the actual software that made it practical, useful, and good by separating the GUI from the OS, making the part of the system that draws the screen a "server" serving applications that ask the server to draw their interfaces on the screen. This separates applications from the means by which they display themselves, providing a uniform interface, asynchronous update, and networkability. It also eliminates the repetition of that code from every program that uses it. This is absolutely brilliant. It allows updates, upgrades, even complete changes, to occur without affecting either the OS or the applications in any way. It allows the user to determine the interface (in much more than just look and feel) they want to use, without having to rewrite the applications they are using. And the change is across the board, unifying all of their applications. MIT brought us the idea that the person using a computer should be in charge of how that computer is used - not the programmer, not the consultant, not the company. This philosophy led to innovations such as the web browser and the hyperlink. It is a shame that neither Apple or MS adopted similar attitudes. By tightly integrating the GUI with the OS, both companies guarantee that even small changes to the GUI require that the entire OS and most applications be rewritten.

MIT also pioneered using actual studies (as opposed to guesswork and anecdotal evidence) to determine computer ease-of-use. They discovered (much to programmer's horror) that computers are actually terribly hard to use. They also confirmed that programmers were the cause of the problems - largely because they used guesswork and anecdotal evidence. What they discovered demonstrated that what was easy for beginners slowly degrades ease-of-use as the beginners become experts. Eventually a program that was seen as easy to use, becomes cumbersome and intrusive. They advocated that a program, if unable to adapt its behavior to the expertise of the user, should attempt to scale its automation, option persistence, and option flatness, by the looking at the expected lifetime of the program in front of any one user. The longer any one user uses a program, the flatter and more persistent the options should be. (Note: automation refers to options made by the program for the user. Option persistence refers to the conditions under which options are made available/unavailable to the user. Option flatness, refers to hiding/not hiding options under other optional elements (such as mutlilevel pulldown menus, or options that only appear on certain dialog boxes).] This ran counter to the prevailing philosophy that was based on only short term ease-of-use.

Lastly, we come to Xerox's PARC. They gave us the window, the mouse, the scroll bar, the pulldown, the GUI in general. Really, it was their idea to throw pixels, as opposed to ASCII characters at the screen. They, themselves, didn't do much with this idea. But they did show it to a few people that did. It was with this idea that computers stopped being the lonely province of a few people williing to memorize all of the ins and outs of eccentric and difficult command line driven operating systems. This led to an explosion of computer popularity. Without the GUI, computers would still only be used by programmers and business people (forced to use them). The GUI provides the means by which the non-expert can make computers do useful things without ever actually becoming an expert. This cannot be underestimated when considering world wide computer adoption. Only by travelling the most impoverished portions of our world (and the most absolutely elite) can you find people that have not at some time done useful things with a computer. Over and beyond its attractiveness, the appeal of the GUI boils down to one critical statement: it is hard to memorize stuff. The GUI provides a means to work with a computer that does not require memorization. And while, Xerox can hardly be said to have invented that, they did find a way to express it in practical codable ways - windows, mice, menus.

I have forgotten to mention Carnegie Mellon University for inventing Mach, Richard Stallman for hyperlinks, and Jim Clark at SGI/Netscape for making us all say "Wow!" time and time again.

Additionally, it should be noted that the above is purely my opinion, is not intended to be "factual" or complete, and may well represent a gross (though unintended) misrepresentation of computer history,

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 4:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Well Mark she must be good at collecting, it seems like she collected at least 1 good guy.

Whats with the "...at least..." - do you know something I don't?

IP Logged