Normal Topic Launch Sesame Server remotely? (Read 865 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Launch Sesame Server remotely?
Sep 6th, 2004 at 5:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am finding it convenient to shutdown Sesame Server using the admin panel from a remote location, and was wondering if there is a way to 'Launch' or 'Restart Sesame server' using the same sort of convenient technique?

My internet connection at home has been momentarily cutting in and out lately (possibly due to rain, or hardware issues) and when it does, Sesame wont let me re-open the dsr file that I was just working in unless I shut-down the server and then re-open it.

Currently, I'm using VNC to 'log into' the server to restart it, but I feel that using VNC introduces some security issues that I am not capable of tackling at this time.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Launch Sesame Server remotely?
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 11:01am
Print Post Print Post  
We can't really help you from the client, in that - once you shutdown the server, there is no way to check security, which is part of the server (not the client).

But there is something relatively simple you can do. Build a small batch file on the server machine that reads:

:MyLabel
sesame -server MyMachine
goto MyLabel

Everytime you shutdown the server, the loop will loop around to the top again and start a new Sesame server. To stop it entirely, you can go to the Windows task manager, or you can add logic to the loop (using batch's "if" statement or "for" statement) to stop it more gracefully.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Launch Sesame Server remotely?
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 12:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark,

I'll give it a try.

Steve

IP Logged