Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) .db failed to open what now? (Read 3727 times)
Leezerd

I wish I had a better
picture than this...

.db failed to open what now?
Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
I was taking my brand new working (thanks to Hammer) application out for a spin, when I got the error message that my .db file failed to open.  Is there a fix for this?

How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: .db failed to open what now?
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
If your app was not properly closed, it may think that it is still open by Sesame. It just needs to be unlocked. See page 465 of the Sesame User Guide for instructions on using the sunlock utility.

You can also use the Sesame Server Administration dialog, instructions on page 423-424.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Leezerd

I wish I had a better
picture than this...

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 10:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
where do I use sunlock?  the user guide isn't real clear

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 10:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sunlock.exe is a utility executable. You can run it from a command line. If you have the default Windows install, sunlock.exe can be found at C:\Sesame\Utilities\Lantica\sunlock.exe

- Hammer
IP Logged

Leezerd

I wish I had a better
picture than this...

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 10:38am
Print Post Print Post  
When I open sunlock it just kinda flashes on the screen I can't read anything on it and I still can't open my .db file.  Any suggestions?   Undecided

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 10:45am
Print Post Print Post  
You have to run it from a command line. You can't just double-click on it in Explorer becuase it needs an argument (the application to unlock).

From a command line:

c:\sesame\utilities\lantica\sunlock.exe c:\sesame\data\myapp.db

- Hammer
IP Logged

Leezerd

I wish I had a better
picture than this...

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 11:15am
Print Post Print Post  
it took some doin' but i got it. I had to rename my .db file
once again you're a life saver....  8)

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 12:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I had to rename my .db file

Leezerd,

Unfortunately I break my application a lot because I am always messing with it to improve it. I find that it is convenient to add a shortcut Icon that runs Sunlock specifically for my application. There should be no reason to rename your app.

Just create a shortcut and in the target put the path of the sunlock utility and the path and name of your application.

In mine for example my target reads
C:\Sesame\Util\sunlock.exe c:\Sesame\data\myapp.db

This says my utility is on the c drive in my Sesame directory in a sub directory called Util and the utility is named sunlock.exe

it then says the file to run the utility on is

located on the c drive in my Sesame directory in a sub directory called data and the database is called myapp.db.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Leezerd

I wish I had a better
picture than this...

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 4:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Had to rename it because I had spaces and capital letters in it.  when i took them out it worked.  i will take your advice about the shortcut though.  thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 5:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Capital letters shouldn't be a problem. Use double quotes on the command line to manage the spaces.

sunlock "My Database.db"

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 6:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hopefully a future version of sunlock will give a confirmation if it worked or not so we can then go to restart the server if it failed.

Or better yet, sunlock will just GO AWAY! I'm soooo tired of it.

Have sesame unlock the db automatically if its locked.

sheesh!

Signed,

Anonymous.

ok..ok, its me, Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 6:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,

Restarting the server and sunlocking an app are not related. Using sunlock on an app that is actually loaded by a server is a very very bad thing to do.

Sunlock operates on the flag that tells Sesame that the app is loaded by a server. If you sunlock a loaded app, you allow a second server to load the app, which is a very fast way to destroy your app.

Sunlock is how you tell an app that it is not actually loaded by a server, even though it believes it is. Never sunlock a loaded app.

The above is also why the server can't automatically unlock the app. It doesn't know that the app isn't really loaded by a server. Only you, as a human, know that.

Also, sunlock is an extremely simple program. It always works, unless the file does not exist, which it does tell you. We've been a bit baffled by your statements that sunlock never works for you. Of course, if you're sunlocking loaded applications, that may explain it.  Wink

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 6:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, when I get an error message that I can't open my database, I panic! (Probably typical with most Sesame users) are you saying I should shut down the server FIRST? Then try to re-open that app, then Sunlock? In that order? Every Time? 

How are we supposed to know which one to do?

With all the bugs I've been running into lately, I'm crashing all over the place. (especially when working remotely). Thanks to your fast and effective support, I've stuck with Sesame through all these hassle.

But, come on! There HAS to be an easier way. How about more informative error message such as:

Hey Stupid, I'm not locked, but I am crashed, so you need to restart the server.

Or

OK, this time I'm locked, but I will only unlock with the Sunlock utillity. Using the unlock from admin panel will only result in more frustration for you.

Steve

Sorry, I needed to vent a little.  Smiley

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 6:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
A locked app and a crashed server are not the same thing.

If you get a message that you can't open your app, the first question is Why not?

There are two likely answers:
1. I just crashed.
2. The app is already loaded by a server or a standalone copy of Sesame.

If you did not just crash, then it is likely to be #2. Also, if you didn't crash, then there is no reason to shut down the server. Having a locked app is not a reason to shut down a server. The Server Interface that shows on the server machine lists the apps that are open. See if your app is on the list before unlocking it. Make sure than no one has the app open standalone.

If you use Emergency Shutdown to kill the Server, then any loaded apps will definitely be locked.

If you are working remotely, then sunlock.exe is the one to use.

If this is happening regularly, you may not have the configuration you think you have. You may have more than one server running. You may (in your self-described panic) be starting a second server when there is one already running with your app happily loaded. You may be unlocking the wrong copy of your app.

You are working remotely with a number of copies of your app scattered around various machines. You may want to take a look at how you work and make sure that you are organized in such a way that you can be sure what servers are running where and using which files.

Also, if you are "crashing all over the place", please let us know. We've looked at your prior posts. The last crash you mentioned was almost a month ago on trying to sort an empty StringArray. The rest of your recent posts have to do with change requests and help with SBasic. A couple of people have sent us crashes lately, but they were both due to the person creating an endless loop in SBasic, a condition that we can't prevent.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 7:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika. I'll add your notes to my growing list of what NOT to do in Sesame.

The reason I crash so often is becuase I dont carry my list with me. For instance, last week I kept crashing at home until I remembered that I can not use my button to populate an unbound image LE with a photo when working remotley. But I CAN and DO use it all the time at the office.

Also, I need to remember to not test xlookups in Preview mode.

Also on my list is not to do a global search.

Oh ya, and I cant use the 'populate combo boxes' button until thats fixed.

Hmmm, maybe Lantica should set up a workarounds page so i dont have to carry my notebook with me.

Shocked

OK OK, sorry. I'm done venting. I know Sesame is in its infant stages and this is how we are all going to grow. I have definately learned a lot thanks to you and Mark and others on the board. And I appreciate you all putting up with my frustrations.

Am I still invited to Sesame conference?

Smiley

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #15 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 7:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Erika. I'll add your notes to my growing list of what NOT to do in Sesame.

The reason I crash so often is becuase I dont carry my list with me. For instance, last week I kept crashing at home until I remembered that I can not use my button to populate an unbound image LE with a photo when working remotley. But I CAN and DO use it all the time at the office.

According to the thread on the subject, using ForceRedraw() solved that issue for you. Is that not working now?

Quote:
Also, I need to remember to not test xlookups in Preview mode.

Yes, that is one of the very few limitations of Preview mode, although it doesn't crash. It's also not a bug. Just one of the few things that Preview cannot support.

Quote:
Also on my list is not to do a global search.

If you happen to have unbound elements, yes. That is fixed in the next release.

Quote:
Oh ya, and I cant use the 'populate combo boxes' button until thats fixed.

What's wrong with your PopulateComboBoxes button? I see several threads on the subject. The only one involving a crash involved sorting a non-existent StringArray. Is there something else crashing on this?

Quote:
Am I still invited to Sesame conference?

Of course. We're very much looking forward to meeting you!  Smiley

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #16 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 7:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika.

The combo box on element change is firing when it's not supposed to (in retrieve spec open) and I think you fixed that for the next release. I'm DYING to make use of it.

I forgot that forceredraw() fixed my image problem. Somehow, I lost that fix in my db (I must have reverted to an old backup prior to that fix). Thanks for the reminder. I just put it back in.

See, thats exactly why I love Sesame and you guys.

Smiley

Steve

IP Logged