Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Back to the fundamentals Again (Read 2778 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Back to the fundamentals Again
Aug 24th, 2004 at 7:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
I still must be missing something in my understanding of Sesame and Natural (automatic) links. So I am hoping if I post what I think is the case someone can explain were my thought process has gone wrong.  In Sesame:

An application contains databases
A database contains forms
Forms contain elements

Data can be displayed on more then 1 form by having elements bound to the same underlying field.

A database can be on multiple forms by way of subforms.

So lets say I have  2 databases in my application 1 is The community and 2 is The Block.

The database called The Block has a form called myneighbors that has an element called neighbors.

The database The Community has a couple of text elements and 2 subforms (on a tab of course) 1 is a table view subform of the form myneighbors from The block database one is a form subform of the form myneighbors from The block database.

If the subforms are set up as natural (automatic) when I go into The community database and enter data into its elements and then enter data into the form subform it links that data to the parent record (automaticaly) then I can save and exit.

When I later go into the community database and search for the parent record the data that was entered into the form subform appears.

If I go into the community database and search for the parent record the data that was entered into the form subform should also appear in the Tableview Subform since the tableview subform is the same bound elements that are naturally linked to the parent  (just displayed in tableview rather then form view) Sesame should display the child data.

Since this is not what happens were have I misunderstood this. 

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Back to the fundamentals Again
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 7:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
When you add the second subform, make sure you tell it to show the same records as the first subform. Otherwise, you are creating two separate "buckets" of Neighbor records. They have the same structure, but the records in the two buckets are not connected.

To do this, when you add the second subform, make sure that in Step 3: Select records to display, you choose Show Existing Natural Child Records from the dropdown.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 7:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believed I was choosing show existing Natural Childrecords (name) On the second subform  but when I just went to look at a couple of my subforms settings box 3 is blank. (I would swear I chose show existing Natural Childrecords (name))

I will re create the subform being very cognizant of my selection.

Thanks for the help.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 7:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Look at the Subrecord Field Name and see if they are both the same.

- Hammer
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Look at the Subrecord Field Name and see if they are both the same.

When I right click on my subforms and select subform settings the subrecord field names are the same. However box 3 is empty and I am 100 percent sure I selected show existing Natural Childrecords (name) this time. Is this box supposed to clear itself?

Thanks

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Box 3 will be empty on an existing subform. It is only available when you are making a new subform. The choice you make in Box 3 is reflected in the Subrecord Field Name. If the field names are the same, you should be seeing the same records.

Can you send me the app? When you do, please tell me in which version you built this. Thanks.

- Hammer
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
The reason it does not seem to work as I thought is because even  though I am saving the record after I add data in the detail subform, until I re search on the record it does not show in the table view subform. I guess I was still thinking like a QA user. I am very used to being able to put data in an element/field in QAWIN and switching to other forms and seeing it immediately.

I guess I should start thinking of a button with a subroutine that takes the rec number and re searches when pressed.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 8:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
The subforms refresh when you move between parent records. Subform 1 has no idea that Subform2 has added a record.  Have you tried saving the Parent record itself? That may cause a sufficient refresh to get the other subforms to requery.

- Hammer
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 9:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
When we put in that capability, I think we envisioned that you would use one or the other on any one parent form, or maybe switch between them using form visibility.

I am now looking into some way you can use just one subform and have it toggle its "view" back and forth via programming.

Wish me luck - I'm going in!

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2004 at 9:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Wish me luck - I'm going in!

Good Luck.

I hope you have better luck then me today because I just screwed the whole thing up somehow.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #10 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 1:21am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, me and all of my imaginary friends are rooting for you!

You can do it!

We'll look for you on the other side.

Steve

By the way, your idea of hiding table view and showing form view when a user wants more details was very clever. Thanks for that little nugget!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 10:51am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark, me and all of my imaginary friends are rooting for you!

Hey! Did you buy imaginary client licenses for them?  Grin

- Hammer
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 11:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Just wondering, when those imaginary people are not talking to you are they talking about you?

I think mine are  Wink

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #13 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 12:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
I used to have real friends until I got  my hands on Sesame. Then they all seem to have 'fallen through the cracks'.

Smiley

Oh well,

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #14 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 5:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Would it only complicate things more if we created additional subforms to 'drill down' to specifics on a record, rather than subforms.

For example, starting at the top:

Parent form: Continent, gives an average population by region, shows total number of coutries, cities, and counties and other info pertinent to a continent and has table view subform of Countries.

From here, a user can type a line number in a box and press a button (or just click on an item in the subform) to close parent form and open the below form automatically searching for the country that the user selected.

Subform on Continent form: Countries, shows pertinent info about the COUNTRY, and contains a subform called Cities.

Again, user can type a line number in a box and press a button to close parent form and open the below form automatically searching for the CITY that the user selected.

NEW FORM(and new database?) called Cities: shows pertinent city information and contains table view subform of Counties, or Neighborhoods, etc.

Again, user can type a line number in a box and press a button to close parent form and open the below form automatically searching for the County that the user selected.

Final form opens (new database?) showing details of the county that the user selected.

This 'drill down' technique could continue on and on depending on how specific the user wants to get.

The benefit here is that the user can start at the top and get a broad view of their data, seeing averages and totals of the specific info from the top. It is then easy to zero in as needed.

I beleive Bob_Scott is doing the same thing, but using tabs. Which method would be preferred? Certainly programming is easier with fewer databases involved.

Any thoughts?

Steve

IP Logged