Normal Topic ODBC and sub forms problem (Read 5749 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

ODBC and sub forms problem
Aug 15th, 2004 at 7:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have been using ODBC connection from Access to Sesame application with no problems, until.......

I have created a normal hierarchical linked database to a PO by adding PO Line Items as a subform.  Now when I try to make the link to the databases, they all come in normally, as in the past.  But the new database Po Lines, is not loaded/linked.  The following  error message comes up:

'tblPurchaseOrders!tblPoLines' is not a valid name.  Make sure that it does not include invalid characters or punctaution and that it is not too long.

An old quote: The devil is in the details."  Well, it's the details of the PO Lines that I need on my reports and analysis in Access. 

Using XP Pro, Sesame 1.0.4, Access 2002, latest Sesame ODBC driver.

What needs to be done to allow subforms databases be linked in Access using ODBC connection? 
I have not yet checked my ODBC connections for Merge documents in Word 2002, but I suspect that this problem will probably exist there also. 

I also have clients that use Open Office and ODBC connections there were good, but had not used subform databases yet. 

Is this going to be a problem only in Access, only in Microsoft products, or all applications that uses ODBC like Crystal Reports/Open Office, etc?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: ODBC and sub forms problem
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 12:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Do you have any matching key fields between the parents and children, or is the natural link the only link?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 2:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
This only has the natural link. 

Based on Invoices from Mar/Apr Inside Sesame.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 3:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
The ODBC driver does have the mechanism to deal with natural links as a hook for future expansion, but the other end of the process does not yet produce the linking information needed by an SQL based engine. We'll see what we can do.

Meanwhile, if you do a hierarchical export and attach Access to the resulting text file, you should get what you need.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2004 at 5:39am
Print Post Print Post  
Your suggestion:
Quote:
do a hierarchical export and attach Access to the resulting text file, you should get what you need.
worked OK.  I was able to make ODBC links with 5 Sesame databases, a link to the text file exported from Sesame, and able to make queries and reports based on the contents.

Thanks for the temp solution.   Will be good when export can be eliminated and all ODBCs can be made. 

Hopefully it won't have any unreasonable limit to the depth of structures.  256 levels should be fine (...just kidding!..... Grin )

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 4:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Just hoping to get a positive update ..... but really need ODBC connection that picks up the subform data in natural links. 

At this point it is awkward to get detail lines on Orders to merge into Word/OpenOffice/Access applications.  Using Export to text file does provide most data, but requires many extra steps vs. normal ODBC link.

ODBC links to Parent databases is working fine, thanks.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 4:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just added these comments here due to subject being reintroduced here.  Wanted to keep the dialog in one location.

I think the biggest issue was creating tables in Access, not necessarily in Word.   Tables were not able to be created with relationships.  I don't recall whether that was only with natural or also with relational links.  Have not looked at since I reported this, have been waiting for news about a solution.  From the earlier posting:

Quote:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 11:31am »
The ODBC driver does have the mechanism to deal with natural links as a hook for future expansion, but the other end of the process does not yet produce the linking information needed by an SQL based engine. We'll see what we can do.
bold and red are mine, added here.

And although the export will transfer the data, having a realtime ODBC link may be much more preferable in many instances.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged