Normal Topic Registered applications on Sesame Demo version (Read 1386 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Registered applications on Sesame Demo version
Aug 15th, 2004 at 7:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
I gave a copy of an application to someone along with the Demo Version of Sesame.  It was intended for them to evaluate the application for his use over the next 30 days. 

When he tried to open the application he gets a message that "The application ("name.db") was created with the trial version.of Sesame and has expired.  To reactivate this application the full version of Sesame is available at http://www.lantica.com"

The application was created with version registered 1.0.4  Sesame version.  In fact, it may have been created over 30 days ago.   The Demo version was from December 2003. 

Sample applications from Lantica can be opened OK even though they were "created" over 30 days ago.  I had expected that any application that was created or opened in Demo version would be usable for a 30 day period. 

This raises a number of questions:
1.  Is it possible that my application has a problem?
2.  Is this a bug in the demo version?
3.  Is this a bug in the registered version?
4.  Is it intended that demo version users would not be allowed to use registererd versions of database for 30 days?
5.  Is the Demo version on web site updated with upgrades to registered...specifically, is current Demo on web site also using version 1.0.4  features?
6.  What needs to be done now to allow Demo version users to use sample applications that I can provide to them from registered versions?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Registered applications on Sesame Demo version
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 11:43am
Print Post Print Post  
It's not a bug in either version or in your application. The trial version will not open an application created/first used more than 30 days ago. You cannot use the trial version for the purpose you describe unless your sample application is less than 30 days old.

The sample applications provided with the trial version are specially prepared for trial version use. They can be used for 30 days after they are first changed.

Also, if you are sending out the  December 2003 trial version, you are sending out 1.00. You should get the current trial version (1.0.4) from the Downloads Area.

The trial mechansim is very user-centric. We wanted to allow people an unlimited amount of time to experiment with Sesame itself. Your requirement, however, is very consultant-centric. I'd like to hear some input from the other consultants. Is this something you need to be able to do? As opposed to those of you who take your applications to your clients on a laptop and demo in person?

Meanwhile, if anyone else is in the same situation as Bob, drop a line to Support and we'll see if we can do something for you.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 2:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the explanation.
It is good to know that the Demo version is being updated to the latest version that is registered.  I will make sure that I provide the latest version for Demos.

But there is still no answer for the ability to provide demo applications.  I would like to be able to post applications on my web site for users to try.  I want to be able to leave someone a copy of work that has been done over 30 days ago.  I do not understand why it is necessary to limit the demo ability to something created in the past 30 days.

I guess I can create a new blank database and then merge my old database into it?  Will that work?  If Yes, then the 30 days since created limitation can easily be overcome, but it puts an unncecssary burden on those of us who want to distribute samples of what Sesame can do.

We have been asking for sample applications, like NorthWind so that we can help demo and sell Sesame. And we end up with hangman as a demo application.   

That is nice for the programmer to see how to use arrays, but do I really want to show a business manager the HangMan game?  Use this to show that he can combine his Contact Manager, Sales, Inventory, Purchasing, Shipping/Receiving together?  That he can send emails, faxes, open up Outlook, etc. all from within his Sesame application?

The sample databases do not provide the ability to show off an integrated package, but we can create our own to do that.

You have noted that the Sample databases have been created especially for that purpose.  Can you provide us with the tools to do the same thing?  The best thing Lantica could have is sample Sesame applications floating everywhere over the web that are only good for 30 days, but they will be good to use.  This will help create the demand for the full working version.

Thanks for listening.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
But there is still no answer for the ability to provide demo applications.  I would like to be able to post applications on my web site for users to try.  I want to be able to leave someone a copy of work that has been done over 30 days ago.  I do not understand why it is necessary to limit the demo ability to something created in the past 30 days.

Because we felt it was better for most users than letting their applications last forever, but having Sesame itself only work for 30 days. The answer, as I said earlier, is for you to contact us. If you are a developer in this situation, we may be able to help you out.

Quote:
I guess I can create a new blank database and then merge my old database into it?  Will that work?  If Yes, then the 30 days since created limitation can easily be overcome, but it puts an unncecssary burden on those of us who want to distribute samples of what Sesame can do.

We don't agree that it is unnecessary. If we completely lift all trial version limits, then we are basically handing out free software. If we do this, we won't be around to support those of you who have purchased Sesame because we will all have had to go out and get paying jobs.

This only affects those in a very specific case of wanting to distribute prebuilt work to someone who only has the trial version of Sesame more than a month after that work has been created.  This is an extremely small percentage of our user base. If you are in that situation, we are willing to discuss it with you and see if we can help you out.

Quote:
We have been asking for sample applications, like NorthWind so that we can help demo and sell Sesame.

Which Raymond has been working hard on building. It's coming along nicely. The first one will not be as expansive as NorthWind because we want people to be able to understand what it does and how it works. We have had requests for:
1. Small non-practical apps that tightly demonstrate particular techniques
2. Simple working apps that can be picked apart for learning purposes
3. Large working applications that can be used to demonstrate capabilites

No one demo application will satisfy all these requirements at once. We are working on providing you with learning and demo materials on an ongoing basis.

Quote:
And we end up with hangman as a demo application.   That is nice for the programmer to see how to use arrays, but do I really want to show a business manager HangMan to show that he can combine his Contact Manager, Sales, Inventory, Purchasing, Shipping/Receiving together.  That he can send emails, faxes, open up Outlook, etc. all from within his Sesame application?

You have Hangman as one of several applications which do not represent the "end" of what we intend to provide. This is the second time that we've been slapped on this Forum for making Hangman. Hangman is a fun little app that neatly demonstrates the use of several techniques, took only a few hours to put together, and, most importantly to us, satisifed the request of a member of this Forum.  We take the requests of individual users as seriously as we take the requests of consultants, even if we don't stand to make as much money off of them. We try not to make "how much cash are you worth to us" a criteria for whether we listen to what you have to say.

Quote:
The sample databases do not provide the ability to show off an integrated package, but we can do that.

You have noted that the Sample databases have been created especially for that purpose.  Can you provide us with the tools to do the same thing.  The best thing you could have is sample Sesame applications floating everywhere over the web that are only good for 30 days, but they will be good to use.  This should help create the demand for the full working version.

We agree. If someone contacts us and give us an opportunity to confirm that that is indeed what they are doing, we will help them to do it. We are not willing, for obvious reasons, to simply hand out a utility that allows apps to be reset indefinitely, just as we are not willing to hand out our license generator.

Quote:
Thanks for listening.

You're welcome. We are listening. Contact us, and we will help you out with this.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2004 at 3:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika, will be in touch.......
==============================

(Modified some hours later):

I have contacted you (you already know that) after your prompting.  I just wanted to keep status up to date on the forum.

Thanks for exchanging emails with me on this subject.  I think your earlier suggestion to get more inputs from Developers will be good.  And a separate Group Session for Developers vs. End Users would be a great idea at the Sesame Users Conference in about 6 weeks.  I think that we may have a need for different sets of tools, this just being one of them.

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2004 at 4:51am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged