Normal Topic Updating Records creates Duplicates (Read 724 times)
javir73

No personal text

Updating Records creates Duplicates
Jul 29th, 2004 at 7:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello All,

I imported a database from Q&A, and found that my restrictions were too old to work.  So, I was going through the records to find what restrictions needed to be added and what records needed to be changed.  After changing several records throughout the database, I found that these records suddenly have exact duplicates.  Anyone seen this before?  What do I do?  The delete duplicates key does not delete them and I do not know how many of these records are duplicated.

Thanks,
Jim

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Updating Records creates Duplicates
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 7:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Jim,

Are you sure these records were not duplicated before you started changing them? There is a fairly common type of corruption in Q&A that creates piles of duplicate records that may or may not show up in Q&A itself. However, these duplicates may still be handed to the Translator as valid records.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

javir73

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 7:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
I used DTFDoctor to check the database structure and data and it stated that it is clean.  Visually, I could only call up the 1 record in Q&A.  Is there a way to find/identify and correct such a problem?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 7:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
It's a good idea to follow the steps in the Q&A Translation Guide to bring your database up to a single generation before translating. This process cleans up many types of Q&A corruption.

If this doesn't work, you may get cleaner results by deleting all the records from your translated Sesame database, exporting your Q&A records, then importing them into Sesame. This gives Q&A an opportunity to filter out the "ghost" records.

You can also send your Q&A application to PCTA for repair, as they are the official tech support for Q&A.

If you don't believe that this is being caused by corruption, check your programming for things like @DITTO, that may be filling out your Form for you.

If you are still having problems, contact Tech Support so they can take a look at your application.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged