Normal Topic Security issues in Sesame (Read 918 times)
Kerinst

If you can't do it right
lemme do it wrong for
you

Security issues in Sesame
Jun 3rd, 2004 at 9:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been reprogramming our old Q&A inventory database into Sesame, where I have ran into a few problems but have got through it with a little help.  Now I am trying to lock up the new application from our data entry person... I wish to give her search access only and the ability to change only the quantity on hand and the year to date sales. 

Now the problem, if I turn off her write ability in everything except these 2 options, when she starts a new search it only allows her to search in these 2 options... She has access to part# field only when she first opens the application and performs the first search, after that she is locked out of every field except the add and subtract fields.

I have updated to version 1.0.3 and even reinstalled all of Sesame but it still doesn't seem to work at all.  Does anybody have a suggestion or a possible fix for this issue?

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Security issues in Sesame
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 12:50am
Print Post Print Post  
I dont know if you are seeing a bug or not, but I can tell you that I have a couple of fields set to "read only". The user CAN enter the feilds to search, but once a record is found and displayed, they can not enter those fields.

You can use programming to turn on and off the "read only" option depending on which user is logged in.

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 10:50am
Print Post Print Post  
Kerinst,

Steve_In_Texas' approach is the one to take here. If you need elements to be read only depending on conditions or mode, use programming. You can use @UserID or @Group to check which user you have. You can use the OnFormEntry and OnRetrieveSpecEntry events to set elements read only or not depending on your needs.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 1:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey! I finally got one right! COOL!

You can find an example program that does something similar using the group and user ID by searching the forums for "pondscum" and "lowlifes".  Cheesy

Oh, here I'll make it easier. The link is pasted below.

http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=program;action=display;...

Steve

IP Logged

Kerinst

If you can't do it right
lemme do it wrong for
you

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 2:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK that will give me something to try while I work all weekend on keeping our secretary from goofing up the program any worse than it already is by her   Roll Eyes

I was setting them to read only in the security manager but I'll fix it again  Smiley

IP Logged