Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sesame crashes (Read 4319 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Sesame crashes
Jun 1st, 2004 at 7:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just wanted to mention that we are crashing quite often when using Sesame on our network. There are at least 2 issues we are seeing consistently.

1. When a users is connected to a server and his pc is idle for an extended amount of time(1 hour?), the connection to the server "closes" or gets lost but the form remains open. when trying to advance to a new record or close the record, sesame stops responding and must be closed. Sesame Server thinks the user is still connected (and will not allow him to re-connect)and must be forcefully shut down. This has been noticed while working over an internet connection. We have not tested this problem on a LAN.

2. When a user is working in a form (.db file) and a programmer is saving (possibly loading and previewing) the same form in designer (.dsr file), the user working in the .db file gets kicked out. Occaisionally Sesame on the users machine crashes and must be closed/reopened.

Hopefully these are things that will be addressed soon.

Thanks for the great software!

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Sesame crashes
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
This has been noticed while working over an internet connection. We have not tested this problem on a LAN.

What kind of internet connection (dialup, broadband, DSL, Cable Modem)? When you say the connection times out, has a modem actually disconnected from the internet as a whole?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 7:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Just wanted to mention that we are crashing quite often when using Sesame on our network. There are at least 2 issues we are seeing consistently.

1. When a users is connected to a server and his pc is idle for an extended amount of time(1 hour?), the connection to the server "closes" or gets lost but the form remains open. when trying to advance to a new record or close the record, sesame stops responding and must be closed. Sesame Server thinks the user is still connected (and will not allow him to re-connect)and must be forcefully shut down. This has been noticed while working over an internet connection. We have not tested this problem on a LAN.

There may be some sort of socket "timeout" behavior being enforced by the operating system itself. In addition, the Internet is definitely geared to cut off inactive connections. We may have to create some sort of "heartbeat" behavior, although we would want it to be optional. Otherwise it will sit there chewing up resources for those who don't need it because it's constantly asking "Are you still there?".

Quote:
2. When a user is working in a form (.db file) and a programmer is saving (possibly loading and previewing) the same form in designer (.dsr file), the user working in the .db file gets kicked out. Occaisionally Sesame on the users machine crashes and must be closed/reopened.

This is a bit of a red herring. The db and the dsr are not connected in any way. This is like saying that the person typing in one text file gets kicked out because someone is typing in a different text file. You may want to take a closer look at what behavior is causing the problem.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 7:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

The connection is cable broadband on both ends. Both internet connections have proven to be very reliable. No other internet disruptions were noted when Sesame loses connection. Maybe one of the internet providers is cutting off the connection after being idle, but Sesame should be able to restore its connection without the user having to get in the car and drive to the office to reset the server Sad (VNC comes in handy for this sort of thing)

Neither computer goes into standby or hibernation. Hard Disks do not "power down" when inactive. let me know if there is another setting you want me to check into.

Erika,

The user is adding data to a .db file and I am working in the .dsr file of the same form. No problems at all until I Save the .dsr. As soon as the user goes to a new record his form closes and he is returned to the tree (once he got the red X saying and Sesame crashed). This happens EVERY time I save. Like Clockwork!

I just tested this again. Its easy to reproduce. I am not going into preview mode. Just opening the form, saving, then he gets kicked to the tree.

Anything else I should test?

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Erika,

The user is adding data to a .db file and I am working in the .dsr file of the same form. No problems at all until I Save the .dsr. As soon as the user goes to a new record his form closes and he is returned to the tree (once he got the red X saying and Sesame crashed). This happens EVERY time I save. Like Clockwork!

I just tested this again. Its easy to reproduce. I am not going into preview mode. Just opening the form, saving, then he gets kicked to the tree.

Steve,

The db and the dsr are not even the same files. The only time they talk to each other at all is when you first open the db in Designer to turn it into a dsr, and when you Reconcile. Are you absolutely certain that he has the db open and not the dsr? It is possible to open a dsr in Runtime by using the command line.

- Hammer
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
but Sesame should be able to restore its connection without the user having to get in the car and drive to the office to reset the server  (VNC comes in handy for this sort of thing)

Agreed. We have run Sesame completely idle overnight without problem. I'm wondering if there are any settings on the server (the OS) to disconnect idle sockets.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

I just checked his screen. He is adding to the .db file. He is not is Designer. (Blue title bar at top of screen shows C:\Sesame\data\appname.DB) Version 1.0.3

He is using Windows 98

Something new....I opened a different form in the .dsr file (also in the same app hes working in ) and saved. He crashed after hitting f10. (Sesame has performed an illegal operation).

Any thoughts?

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

Glad to hear you had success with an idle connection. I would not be surprised if its an ISP issue or an internet connection setting on my end. I've still much to learn about Internet ports, firewalls, etc.

Not a big deal. We'll just be sure to exit Sesame when not in use, until we figure it out.

Thanks,

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Running more tests as we speak.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Erika,

I just checked his screen. He is adding to the .db file. He is not is Designer. (Blue title bar at top of screen shows C:\Sesame\data\appname.DB) Version 1.0.3

He is using Windows 98

Something new....I opened a different form in the .dsr file (also in the same app hes working in ) and saved. He crashed after hitting f10. (Sesame has performed an illegal operation).

Any thoughts?

Steve in Texas

Steve,

Can you give me very specific steps for how you are opening the dsr? This is somewhat magical, so I need step by step to make sure I do exactly what you do. I need to know if you are client-server. I need to know if you use the mouse or the keyboard at each step. "Open the dsr file" isn't enough. I need to know exactly what you you type or click on. The only possibility here is that you are opening the db, turning it into a dsr, and the db is still being held open. If this is the case, I need to know precisely what you are doing so I can do the exact same thing.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

Thanks for the concern. We both just rebooted and are still having the same problem. Here are the details.

The mouse is used for everything. No keyboard other than the Users press of F10.

I click on an icon with these settings (pasted from icon):

Target:
C:\Sesame\Program\sdesigner.exe -client ntserver:20020:20021

Start in: ""   (blank)

I use mouse to double click on file named RugStudio.DSR

Progress box shows "Loading 0-100%". Sesame opens to tree.

I use mouse to click Forms>Redesign>Rugstudio!Photo Editor. (Same problem happens in at least 1 other form, also)

Photo Editor forms open.

I click "Save Layout Design" (with or without making changes to the form. Doesnt seem to affect problem)

Progress box shows "Saving 0-100%" Then the Progress box shows AGAIN "Saving 0-100%" (should it save twice???) All seems normal on my machine. (At this point User crashes at next record change. For testing, he presed f9 and f10 continuously while I was saving. Crash happens right when the save hits approx 100%)

Here is what the user did:

Double clicks icon with these settings:

Target:
C:\sesame\data\sesame.exe -client NTserver:20020:20021

Start in:
C:\Sesame  

Uses mouse to click File>Open>Rugstudio.DB (.dsr files are not visible)

Progress box shows "Loading 0-100% Flashes very quickly. Tree Opens.

Single click on Search/Update "Photo Editor"

Enter search specs and f10 through the first 10 records just to 'browse'.

All is well with updating until the above mentioned "saved of the .dsr form". The next press of F10 Crashes sesame with message "Sesame has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down".

My machine is using Windows 2000 and the user is using windows 98 with no other programs running. This problem seems to be getting worse. Earlier User was being forced back to the tree with the Sesame splash screen showing, now he is getting the "Illegal operation" box.

I'm going to try this scenario on a non windows 98 box and see what happens. I'll post my results.

Thanks again for your concern.

Steve in Texas.

Update: Recreated the users steps exactly on a windows XP Home machine and left it open in update mode of form Photo Editor.

Went to my computer and just clicked "Save" (Photo editor form was still open from last test)

Went back to XP machine and tried to F10 and after a slight delay and no response (hourglass, pointer, hourglass, pointer, still no response, F10 again) CRASH! (Sesame.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Send error report?)

ps. Server is running on XP Pro and does show the user as disconnected after they close their "crash window". Also, just to confirm, since I know this is hard to beleive. I AM working in the .DSR file, not the .DB file and the users ARE only working in the .DB file. We never even got far enough to reconcile.

Thanks

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,

I would very much like to see both the dsr and db for this. Something has to be shared between the two files. Perhaps a static image or something like that is getting grabbed by both apps at once. It has to be something like that because there is no possible actual connection between the files or their records. There has to be something external. This is actually somewhat magical and I'd really like to see what this turns out to be!

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #12 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Shall I send you the db and dsr? Total size would be about 9 megs for each.

I could delete some records from the .db and delete all .dsr files and send to you.

Just let me know.

Thanks again for your interest.

Steve in Texas.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #13 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
ALso, should we consider it a timing issue? if a user presses F10 while a programmer is saving a .dsr?

How about if Norton Antivirus is "stalling" the .dsr save and it makes Sesame temporarily "vulnerable" for a short time?

I'm going to save my .dsr as a new app and try to recreate the bug.

Thanks,
Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Update:

I saved my .dsr file to Temp.DB and opend it on the XP Home machine. Problem still occured but did something a bit different.

After pressing F10 on User machine, Sesame splash screen showed up and Progress box showed "Loading 0-100%). At 97% Crash screen displayed "Sesame.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close...".

Should I re-install Sesame Runtime or just send the files to you to look at?

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print