Normal Topic "BASIC" Programming Book (Read 1483 times)
aheimdal

No personal text

"BASIC" Programming Book
May 28th, 2004 at 12:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm looking for a good "BASIC" programming book that will give me some of the basics to programming in BASIC.  The only programming I've had in BASIC was back in 7th grade.  Looooong time ago.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: "BASIC" Programming Book
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2004 at 1:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
There are four components to learning how to program:

1. Learning the general principles of programming that apply to any programming language

2. Learning the syntax and philosophy of a particular programming language

3. Learning the specifics of a particular implementation's "runtime library" of routines, procedures, commands, and functions

4. Learning the environment (runtime and development) in which the programming language lives

A book on general BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) can help you with point 1, and to a lesser degree with point 2. The only "books" you can get for help with point 3 are those dealing with Sesame (the manuals, this forum, and "Inside Sesame", and (to a lesser degree) the programming books written for Q&A. Right now, the only "books" for point 4 would be the manuals, this forum, and "Inside Sesame".

The hardest part of learning a computer language is not learning the language itself, but learning how to apply the language. The best way to do that is to set a realistic goal for yourself. Then, with the manual at your elbow, start programming to meet that goal. Your first successful program in the new environment won't be the best way to solve the problem, but you will have learned a lot. By reworking the problem, getting involved here on the forum, and reading articles, you will eventually come up with better and better solutions.

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2004 at 3:06pm by The Cow »  

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2004 at 1:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
I know that an SBASIC Programming Seminar has been planned, but if you cannot wait, or will be unable to attend, then third party books may be the sensible solution.  You are liable to get hundreds of suggestions, so here is the first one. 

Microsoft has a free on-line Programming Guide for Visual Basic (VB) at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon98/html/vb...
If you have Word, Excel, Access, or any other of the Office uite products, you will have access to VB.  But VB is not necessary to use these tutorials with SBASIC in Sesame.

You can  try the tutorial examples in the Program Editor of Sesame with your current Sesame applications.  You will have to adapt Sesame's SBASIC functions to the tutorials.  But the sub topics that follow can be beneficial.  If you start immediately at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon98/html/vb... then you will be introduced to things like: Code Writing Mechanics, Variables, Constants,  Data Types, Arrays, Procedures, Functions, Control Structures like loops, and conditional (IF-ELSE-THEN) branching.

Any third-party book or tutorial you get right now will have to be customized for Sesame, so you will have to be alert about the differences.  But you can use the information on these pages as examples just substitute the Sesame equivalents where necessary.  You will be surprised at how much is common.

I don't know anything about your timing, but all of these subjects were planned to  be covered in the SBASIC Programming course that has been proposed.  I was fortunate to attend the first trial of this seminar a few weeks ago.  Perhaps the manuals will be made available for sale, separate from the seminar?

=============================
The use of the SBASIC functions is different from learning/understanding programming techniques.  Many of the VB functions are common or similar to those in SBASIC.  But other commands unique to Sesame, like the LookUp commands will not be found here, or anywhere else.  But there are a lot of good examples in Tom Marcellus Q&A Version 4 Bible.  (This is  out of print but I do have a copy available for sale from one of the members of our local Q&A Users Group).

There are also many good examples in Inside Sesame and in the back issues of Quick Answer.
« Last Edit: May 29th, 2004 at 2:35am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2004 at 3:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
  The only programming I've had in BASIC was back in 7th grade.  Looooong time ago.

aheimdal,

That is more then a lot of us out here have had.

I guess the good part about not having much experience is that we do not have too many bad programming habits to UN-learn.

I have found that the problem of lack of printed learning material on Sbasic is easily overcome at this point by the help that the Lanticans and the more experienced users who have programming experience and knowledge are willing to give on this forum. Many of my programming dilemmas were overcome with help from the support of people on this forum.

I have also found that I have learned tons by reading over the programming examples that have been posted by the talented people like Ray the reaper, Hammer, baharat, bob Hansen and others.

I am figuring between the Lanticans, the forum users, the forum examples the manuals the newsletter Inside Sesame and the classes coming up in September we should all be ok.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2004 at 9:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Inside Sesame has been my programming companion, along side my Sesame Programming manual. If you arent a subscriber, your missing the boat.

I can say this freely, as I do not work for Lantica. Grin

Steve in Texas

IP Logged