Normal Topic Comptartmentalization (Read 972 times)
GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Comptartmentalization
Mar 29th, 2004 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am thinking of setting up a database that can be used by our enterprise. A single Database that contains information (demographic data) about our employees to be used by our Human Resources Department, Training information to be developed by our Staff Development Department. A fiscal resources page to be used by our Financial Department and page for disability and insurance related claims administered by our
Workman's Comp Department.

All of this information collected represents the sum total of every employee.  However, each department does NOT need to see the other's data and information. We are talking compatmentalizing the information yet giving access to those that truly need access to the whole picture. This of course resides on a server giving shares to  the whole application as projected by security, hiding pages (databases) that aren't relevant.

I have no trouble setting up the databases themselves, yet I haven't quite figured out how to make the different pages visible to the right people.

I have considered using the capabilities of Novell to set up the security access by allowing User ID's access to relevant parts or "groups". This is problematic in that I can't link the various groups without giivng access to all.

What I would like to do is to build a tab based database and program in Sbasic access to each of the tabs for each separate group. How would I go about it if it can be done at all? GJK..

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Comptartmentalization
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 4:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
A quick thought might be to use one of the visibility commands in Sbasic and test against the user to allow visibility or not.  This example works to hide an entire subform. In an on form entry I have

If userid = "bob" then
{
    //Hide the subform
    SubformVisibility("activitysubform",0)
}

It is very basic but I was just throwing out a starting option.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 4:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
I guess, as a start, I would recommend that you use three different applications, each with group based security, and each running on a different Sesame server using unique port addresses. Then set up the port numbers on the appropriate clients so that they access only the appropriate Sesame server. If the port numbers "leak" to an inappropriate dept. you will still have group password in place to fend off unwanted access. Folks that should have access to all the applications, get icons for each (with appropriate port numbers in the "Target") and are included in the group security on all the apps.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 9:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you for the quick response!.  I am wondering if the suggestion that you make Mark allows for linking the separate databases so that  the people who have access to everything see one database with access to all as one and not three separate databases? Maybe a General shell can be designed where the info is retreived as Xlookups.

A more elegant solution would be to have all the data linked together in one database  with a Login function controlling access to the different databases. I know that is what happens when the security option is set for opening the database originally.

Is there a Sbasic command which would open a Login  windows and check against a pre programmed list of User ID's granted access rights?

IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 10:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bobscott, I could see your idea working if access to all of the other subforms was blanked out except for the one that you would have immediate rights.  Somehow you would have to tie this into your immediate rights. So as you opened the related database subform, that would be the only thing that you could see. Interesting...

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 10:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
It may be that you should create a single database containing all of the necessary fields, then build multiple forms on that database, each containing only the fields necessary for a particular group. The group that can see all the data have "read access" to the main form (with all the fields). Other groups only have "read access" to a form with a subset of the fields. Sesame won't even list forms that you do not have "read access" to.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2004 at 3:57am
Print Post Print Post  
Don't forget about security if users will be able to generate reports.  Would want to have group security at the field level to prevent unauthorized access of data from reports. 

Also same issue with Export, and File copy. 

What about keeping data in separate folders with network access security?  With some XLU programming for common shared data?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Reply #7 - Apr 1st, 2004 at 9:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, I'm going to try your suggestion Mark. This actually may be easier than I first imagined. 

Bob_Hansen, your correct on the report security issue. One of my original first thoughts was to use XLU.

I guess what this illustrates is that there are many ways to acheive the desired results and speaks positively to the flexibility and the potential of Sesame! Smiley

IP Logged