Normal Topic It's complicated! (Read 409 times)
John_Y_Cannuck

decidedly un-geek!

It's complicated!
Mar 25th, 2004 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
I always meant to do this in QA4, but never figured it all out. Now maybe with Sesame, I'll finally succeed.
We have three separate data bases (all of which I wrote) that were originally QA4. I want to combine the information through an xlookup type command attached to a button in each database.
These are cemetery lots, flowerbeds, and burials.
The cemetery lot database contains owners names and adresses, pre-payments, etc.
The burial register contains burial info, and is quite large.
The flowerbed data, contains contact info for next of kin that pay us to plant flowerbeds on some of the lots, and is used for a mail merge once a year.
Switching between them is a pain in the butt.
The problems.
The lot register names are not in most cases the same as the flowerbed names.
The Lot designations for older sections of the cemetery are different than those of the newer sections.
Unocupied graves in any lot are not even in the database.

So far, I figure I have to get the unoccupied graves and their locations into the database some how, and assign a unique number to each grave, assoctiate that with the lots, which I guess I also have to assign a unique number. The same will hold true for flowerbeds.
I hope to use @Number as much as possible, as the fear of what will be in excess of 20,000 entries is a bit overwelming for a two (fat) fingered typist.
Is there an easy way I'm missing out on?

IP Logged