Normal Topic Scalable Subforms (Read 403 times)
GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Scalable Subforms
Mar 24th, 2004 at 5:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
The more I work with Sesame, the more I see a need for scalability built into subforms. I would like to see a subform window that could be stretched or compacted from within the database if possible and not have to go to "designer" and manually reset the subform size. I realize that the subforms have scroll bars and allow you to manipulate the window in that manner. I find myself having to go back and manipulate subform size and the resolution of the Windows adapter settings to see what I need to see.

To get to where I see what I want to see I try to build the subfoms with much smaller fonts and close the options tree to give the subforms more space. Then I go back and elarge the Subform LE. This is a lot of work that I suppose I can live with but It sure would be nice to be able to grab a corner of the subform and enlarge it and then have a scale to reduce the size of the data displayed in the subform. Smiley

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Scalable Subforms
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 6:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
GJK,

Just a thought until other ways are found or created. I made my main form pretty much 1 large tab element with many tabs. above the tab element I have basic data I need like name record id etc. I use each tab to display each subform. It gives me lots of real estate and it is super quick to click a tab and see all the data with plenty of room for anything I need. (remember a subform can be a subform that has formview with a tableview on it)

Another technique that seems to work really well is using SubformVisibility and @ SubformVisibility with a command button to make subforms appear and disappear in the center of the screen.

I know this may not be exactly what you were talking about, but since you were working with subforms I figured I would butt in and give you some unsolicited information so you have something else to think about. Grin

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Re: Scalable Subforms
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2004 at 7:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bobscott, I always appreciate your "take" on things.

I will explore the programming option that you suggest but I kinda like the look of a form with subform windows and the Tab idea seems to have some merit. I guess you have to develope a taste for the different approaches.

IP Logged