Normal Topic Developing in sesame and protecting program (Read 584 times)
sunnyjenna

No personal text

Developing in sesame and protecting program
Mar 22nd, 2004 at 3:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can someone recommend a method or a program that I can use to encrypt a bat file that I attach to the icon that starts sesame so a user can not modify the start up switches I select?

How about a program or method that I can employ to stop sesame from running after x amount of uses or time. I have had employees in the past take my program and use it to start a business like mine using my own program. I would like to protect against this in the future.

Finally does anyone know if there will be developer versions of sesame that will allow a more developer specific branding like our product name in the upper corner of the blue bar not sesame and then our program name or the ability to deactivate the help menu and only have the user use custom help.

Thanks in advance,

Jenna

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Developing in sesame and protecting program
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 4:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Can someone recommend a method or a program that I can use to encrypt a bat file that I attach to the icon that starts sesame so a user can not modify the start up switches I select?

Try BAT2EXE, freeware available at http://www.computerhope.com/dutil.htm ;  
Originally provided by PC Magazine, 1990.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Developing in sesame and protecting program
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2004 at 7:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
How about a program or method that I can employ to stop sesame from running after x amount of uses or time. I have had employees in the past take my program and use it to start a business like mine using my own program. I would like to protect against this in the future.

If you are going to use a converted bat to com file (bat2exe.com) like Bob suggested you could put a generic non descript file like sysk.bat or anything.txt and have the bat file check for its existence before it starts your Sesame application. It would look something like this

if exist c:\sysk.bat C:\Sesame\sesame.exe -splash c:\sesame\pics\yourfile.jpg  c:\sesame\data\your.db

This will look in the c: directory for a file named sysk.bat if it finds it, it will run Sesame with your splash image and your database. It is not the cleanest method but it would work because the chances of someone knowing to put the fake file on their machine is very slim. Just a thought.

You could probably use a similar method using the Sbasic command FileExists() to trip up some major sub routine that would cripple your app if someone was to get your application as long as they can not access your program layout.

Quote:
Finally does anyone know if there will be developer versions of sesame that will allow a more developer specific branding like our product name in the upper corner of the blue bar not sesame and then our program name or the ability to deactivate the help menu and only have the user use custom help.

This is a question only the Lanticans themselves could answer, however I would guess there are many, many, many tasks on their list before those.  Smiley  But I do like some of the options you suggested. There is a method on the support page for submitting suggestions.  Cheesy

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged