Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Deleting a Database (Read 1232 times)
Justin_ICC

Deleting a Database
Feb 9th, 2004 at 10:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here is a little bit of an unusual problem I got myself into.

Somehow I managed to create a 2nd database with the same name as another database. Whenever i make changes to one it automatically applies those same changes to the other one (forms etc). How do i delete this second database?

Anyone have any ideas.. for that matter there doesn't seem to be any instructions in the user manual on how to delete any databases in Sesame Designer.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Deleting a Database
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Go in Designer
Manage a Database
Manage Fields
Delete Database

IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 10:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is also the "Trim application" option in "Application Utilities" in the main module. Just be careful what you trim. GK..

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 10:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat, if Justin has 2 db's with the same name wouldn't using Manage Db, Delete Db delete all db's by that name.

As I presume he wants to keep one db with that name he may need to do it through Windows explorer or my computer to select only one of the db's files to delete.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 10:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is it possible that, rather than having two databases of the same name, you have a database which appears as a subrecord of more than one parent?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 10:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Becky,

We are talking about database, not application. Application will be listed as the *.db file in the windows explorer, while database is represented in the command tree as a folder. If you have two applications with the same name in the same folder, one will overwrite the other, I believe here we are referring databases in an application. I hope justin will clarify.

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 1:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
There are 2 databases in the application and they are both subforms of the same main database. I am leery of using the database manager as it seems to make the same changes to both databases every time i use it. I tried renaming the database from within a layout but it renamed both databases at the same time. It looks like no matter which route I go it will delete both which is something i'm trying to avoid.

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Re: Deleting a Duplicate Database
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well I managed to figure out how to remove the duplicate database.

I first of all made a backup of the application. I then went into the database manager for the duplicate database and tried using the delete database option, unfortunately it deleted both.

I restored the backup and gave it another try. I went into the database manager on the parent database. I noticed there was 2 subform databases (even though i'd already deleted the 2nd subform layout element. These subform elements were uniquely named (Note & Note2). I then selected the delete field option selected the Note2 field and then ran the batch. This deleted the 2nd database - As a warning to all those in the future - be careful not to let yourself get duplicate databases - its a real headache.

To the lantica staff I suggest adding some sort of checking to make sure something like this doesn't happen There should not be duplicate database names allowed.

I'm just glad its resolved and I hope no one else gets this problem.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 1:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Justin_ICC,

Duplicate database names are not allowed. I don't think you had two databases. You had the same database appearing twice because you created two field links to it from the parent by adding subforms. "Both" databases reflected the changes because they are actually the same database. Deleting the subform element does not delete the underlying field link. When you deleted the subrecord field, you did not delete the database. You deleted the link between the two databases, thus causing the second occurance to disappear from the tree.

Does this sound like what happened, or is there something else going on here?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 2:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
That could be possible I can't remember exactly how I created it I remember creating 2 subforms one using relational links and one using natural links but I can't remember how I created the duplicate. I might have tied it to two different layouts for the same database mistaking them for two different databases.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Feb 10th, 2004 at 2:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
That could be possible I can't remember exactly how I created it I remember creating 2 subforms one using relational links and one using natural links but I can't remember how I created the duplicate. I might have tied it to two different layouts for the same database mistaking them for two different databases.

What you describe correctly creates two links from the parent database to the child database. This would cause it to appear twice on the tree, but you do not have a duplicate database. You just have two different links to the same database. One natural, one relational. By deleting the field representing the second link, you made it stop appearing twice.

- Hammer
IP Logged