Normal Topic @GobalValue in retrieve spec (Read 770 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

@GobalValue in retrieve spec
Jan 30th, 2004 at 11:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Q&A and Sesame allow programming code in retrieve spec when placed within { }.  Since @GlobalValue retain it's value, I thought, it will be very useful. But I have little success with it.

Let me explain what I am trying to do. Let us say, I am adding a record and I would like to lookup some pertinet info about this client from other database after retrieving the record of the same client.  I have entered the key value such as CustIdNumber,  I will have a button (on element entry) which will assign CustIdNumber to GlobalValue variable...

Globalvalue ("ClientId", CustIdNumber)
Writeln (@globalvalue ("ClientId"))

This confirms that @globalvalue ("ClientId") has been assigned proper value.  works fine so far. I did not go further with programming without confirming whether it works in Retrieve spec or not.

when I go to retrieve spec and use

{@globalvalue ("ClientId")}
or
=  {@globalvalue ("ClientId")}
or
{CustomerIdNumber = @globalvalue ("ClientId")}

nothing seems to work.  So I deduct that @globalValue() does not work in retrieve spec.   Globalvalue variable is the one which does not lose its value even when you close the program.  Why it is not available for retrieve spec? or am I wrong?

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2004 at 5:49pm by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: @GobalValue in retrieve spec
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 5:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Being able to use programming in retrieve spec was a big leap forward for Q&A for automization and being able to use and manupulate the value of variables in Sesame gives additional power and convenience in programming in general.  Unfortunately, ordinary variables and static variables can be used only for the element and form concerned respectively but then, we have Global Static variable which holds the value across the full scope of application.  It is too bad that it cannot be used in programming the retrieve spec !!!

I see a lot of possibilites and uses of global variables and being able to use them in retrieve specs will definitely be a leap forward in the evolution and unfolding of Sesame.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 6:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I see a lot of possibilites and uses of global variables and being able to use them in retrieve specs will definitely be a leap forward in the evolution and unfolding of Sesame.

I'll see what I can do for you.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2004 at 6:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, thank you.

IP Logged