Normal Topic Q&A Problem (Read 1535 times)
Bejagee

No personal text

Q&A Problem
Mar 18th, 2004 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
We have been having problems of late with a couple of our databases that we use daily.  We keep getting system errors and I have to rebuild them using John Dow's DTFDoctor utility.  I can then use Q&A's recover which often results in duplicate entries.  We have a Windows NT network with individual workstations (Windows XP, 98 ) loading Q&A locally and accessing the databases over the network.  The files are stored on a Windows 98 computer (Pentium III 450, 512MB RAM, partitioned HDD).  If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, etc... I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

IP Logged

josebetzy

Hmmm. How? Cómo?

Re: Q&A Problem
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2004 at 2:34am
Print Post Print Post  
In the past there have been many solutions to this type of problem. The first thing that you need to do is too begin spending some time changing over to Sesame.

In our experience, your reported problems have to do with Windows network protocols playing funny tricks on QA which is a DOS based 16bit program.  Make sure that your DB's are in a first generation. Make sure that when you recover a database, the actual data is clean and not corrupted. Many times when you recover a database, there remains damaged records. Check the contents use ALt + F6 to see in table view.

As far as the network, our experience is to make sure that your hubs are cleaned, checked often (loose connections at the jack, etc.). Make sure that your cabling is far from florescent lights (at least 2 feet).  Check you lan cards (they do go marginal and  have intermitten problems). Diagnose bottle necks.

You might say "yes I've done that",  to what I have quickly suggested, but recheck, experience is talking and human errors are the worst ones to spot.  Check your config files again (Win98). Since your file server is a Win98 PIII, I strongly recommend you replace that power supply if it is over two years old. I was the supervisor for Columbia Data Products until they moved to Delaware, we used to make power supplies (amongst other components) here for many manufacturers.

Good Luck

Jose L. Muñoz

IP Logged