Normal Topic database with multiple forms (Read 1375 times)
FSGROUP

No personal text

database with multiple forms
Jan 28th, 2004 at 6:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have a database where I would like to display Client Contact Info on several different forms, say the forms are called Personal, Planning, Addresses, etc.. 

What I would like to know is when I search for a record in Personal,  if this same record could be displayed in other forms(ex. Planning) when opened in Search/Update mode without having to do the same search?

Thanks

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: database with multiple forms
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 9:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
How about having a form with the client info at the top and the rest of the page a large tab element with many tabs.

you can place subforms on each tab one  for  Planning,  another for Addresses, etc It gives you multiple forms all on 1 screen.

If you use natural links with the subforms it will find the data automatically. If not you can have Sbasic language that links it all together.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2004 at 10:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
I had considered using several tabs, but since the subforms are not being displayed properly on them, I thought there might be a way around this.

thanx for your help.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 4:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I had considered using several tabs, but since the subforms are not being displayed properly on them, I thought there might be a way around this.

FSGROUP,

I am not exactly sure what problems you are referring to. I have one form that has about 20 tabs and at least 6 of those tabs are Subforms. I even have subforms that have subforms inside the subform. They work like a charm for the most part. I believe we can be very confident using them on our forms. Smiley

The only problem I have had using subforms on tabs is with one Tableview subform and it has not been determined yet if it is something I have done incorrectly or some other anomaly. Tech support is looking at it now.

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 6:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
sorry i should have been more specific. The problem I am referring to is having a table-view subform on a tab-it doesn't display within the tab, but instead overlaps between the tab and the form.  in fact, you have posted this bug yourself to the forum. 

the subforms i would like to put on the tabs would mostly be tableview =(

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 7:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
The way I have a tableview on a subform at the moment is I created a new form in the database that I want the data from and added the table subform to that form and then from my main form I use that form to make my subform but not in tableview but since it has the tableview on it  accomplishes the same thing.

It is a little hokey but it is just a work around until the real problem can be identified. It is easy to swap out later and gives me the basic results I want for testing and learning. Grin

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 7:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
The problem with Table View subforms on Tabs that Bob Scott experienced has been found and fixed. The fix will be available in Sesame 1.0.2.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
BobScott: So to clarify your workaround, I would put my Children subform(in tableview) on a new form, NewForm, then make NewForm(formview) a subform on Main?

If that's correct, that means I need to add a Client ID field to NewForm and make the appropriate links between the three forms?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 9:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Basically just make a new form in your target database with just one subform element  set as tableview from your original target form.

On your main form add a subform element set to form (this can be on a tab if you like) and call the form that has the table subform on it.

This should do it.

Seeing that you are familiar with SQL and Oracle database programming you are light years ahead of me and probably know how to do this but I figured I would just mention that I find adding a little command button on my subforms that are not tableview that creates a tableview popup form is really handy also. The logic that does this is

var vtable as int

Vtable=@selectTreeitem ("Search Update Menu!Other Commands!Table View (Shift-F6)")

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2004 at 10:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
alright, so if I understand your workaround clearly, I still see a problem. 

Example:
Form: Main, contains SF1
Subform: SF1 (formview), contains only SF2
Subform: SF2 (tableview)

Problem: Main has no matching field value to SF1, thus records in SF2 cannot be retrieved for a particular client ID existing in both Main and SF2. kapeesh?

i'm hoping update 1.0.2 will be released soon, light years ahead? bah! Grin

IP Logged