Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Just my 2 cents worth. And of course a request for (Read 6604 times)
BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Just my 2 cents worth. And of course a request for
Jan 13th, 2004 at 5:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just my 2 cents worth. And of course a request for more.

I really hate change. Some would call me a stick in the mud, others call me consistent. But I have been learning thanks to the Lantica team that sometimes changes can be good.

I have really become very fond of the control panels in Sdesigner. When I started playing with Sesame I thought why do I need the property viewer, I wondered why could they not just display the existing values on the property editor. Now I love being able to view my element property values in one box and just click on the appropriate feature in the editor box. They obviously thought this through and I am glad they did. I have been realizing that if I give up thinking the way I was used to (The Q&A way) I can achieve amazing things with Sesame.

Just goes to show, us old dogs can learn new tricks. Grin

Another really great feature I have come to love is the ability to export all my program layouts to a file. If I notate each piece of code properly, not only do I have good documentation of what I have done it also acts as a programmers notebook of how to accomplish specific tasks in the future.

So in a nutshell I am trying to say to anybody out here struggling with changing to Sesame, Hang in there, the end of the trip looks promising and to the Lantica team I am saying GREAT JOB and THANKS. Kiss

As always the more that is given to me the more I want. (Is this just a man thing? ??? ) Is there a way to print or export all my field element Names and the associated values? I have been attempting to maintain this data in a Spreadsheet and it is prone to errors.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: Just my 2 cents worth. And of course a request
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 3:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
...Is there a way to print or export all my field element Names and the associated values? I have been attempting to maintain this data in a Spreadsheet and it is prone to errors.

Thanks for you kind thoughts Robert. Other users have also found that (after the initial shock that Sesame is NOT Q&A v6 !) after a couple of hours playing with it they actually like it a lot and find it easy to use.

To answer your question: yes we are aware that there is a need for a "Data Dictionary" and this is something we intend to address.

Alec
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 7:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
I agree with Bob's comments but in database I would like the option to be able to close the Tree Command Menu like the favorites list in IE.
This old dawg still likes to be able to have full screen view Wink

Now for my Question  Smiley

I have a record entry form which includes elements "City, State, Zip, +4, Add2" etc.
Sdesigner rename the label "+4" to  LE6
In the programing of LE6, I have a navigation statement on element exit of "Goto Add2". This statement does not excute but it did test OK under programing.
If I place the same statement under the element "Zip" then it excutes correctly.

I presume this has something to do with the label name or the change thereof, can somebody shed some light on this simple statement, thnx

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 8:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I would like the option to be able to close the Tree Command Menu like the favorites list in IE.
This old dawg still likes to be able to have full screen view

There are three ways to accomplish this. If you just want the space temporarily, you can simply slide the command tree to the left, giving the form the entire area. If you want it shut completely so it cannot be reopened, you can start Sesame with the "-closed" flag:

Sesame -closed my_app.db

in the shortcut or on the command line. In that case it would be wise to provide some of the commands from the tree using command buttons and SBasic's SelectTreeItem call.

Or if you need the tree to open and close based on user actions, you can call CloseCommandArea and OpenCommandArea from SBasic.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2004 at 8:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I would like the option to be able to close the Tree Command Menu like the favorites list in IE.

Becky,

I have a command button at the top of my form  labeled open/close if the tree is open when it is selected the tree will close. If the tree is closed it will open.

Just make a command button and attach this code. It works well.

// Opens or closes command Tree dependent on the state it is currently in

var state as Int 

state = @CloseCommandArea() // Returns the current Command Tree state
if state = 0 then
     CloseCommandArea(1)  // Closes the Command Tree
else
     CloseCommandArea(0)  // Opens the Command Tree

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 12:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Bob, still got the blinkers on somewhat, didn't think to add a command button, duh!
thankyou

Mark, as you suggested I have been sliding the command tree over, but this really becomes a pain after awhile, especally when there's more than one person using the work station and your switching between more than one application.
As far as using the -closed flag, I don't feel this is the right approach for us.

So inlight of that I will follow Bobs lead and add a command button to each and every form,  but for ease and simplicity couldn't ya add that command button to the top Menu Bar or add it into the View Menu on the Menu Bar? Please! Please! Please! Wink Wink

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 4:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
So inlight of that I will follow Bobs lead and add a command button to each and every form,  but for ease and simplicity couldn't ya add that command button to the top Menu Bar or add it into the View Menu on the Menu Bar? Please! Please! Please!

Ah, if only I could get the folks in Lantica marketing to ask for features so nicely!

Unfortunately, the decision isn't really up to me (alone). You should send an email to support@lantica.com. They can make sure it gets discussed as a new feature and put on the list.

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob, I've followed your lead and found this to work quite well, will need to make some form & program changes but can make this work, thankyou

Walt, the object of having a command button on the menu bar or be added to the view menu on the menu bar is just for a quick and simple way to obtain full screen view, not to restrict access to the command tree.

If you want to restrict access you would be more inclined to use programing or the -closed flag option at start up, this method I believe would override any added command button on the menu bar.

Bob's method is a good workaround and works great, but it also has its drawbacks.
One being you now have to add a button and programing to every form.
Two if you use record command/print record you now have a nice little shadded command button printed on that nice designed professional invoice that you are going to hand to the cutomer on the other side of the counter Embarrassed
guess ya just carn't please everyone  Grin

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 10:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Now for my Question  Smiley

I have a record entry form which includes elements "City, State, Zip, +4, Add2" etc.
Sdesigner rename the label "+4" to  LE6
In the programing of LE6, I have a navigation statement on element exit of "Goto Add2". This statement does not excute but it did test OK under programing.
If I place the same statement under the element "Zip" then it excutes correctly.

I presume this has something to do with the label name or the change thereof, can somebody shed some light on this simple statement, thnx

Becky the "field" that you had named as " +4 " contained an invalid character - the " + " sign.  That is why Sesame renamed this (L)ayout (E)lement as LE6 .  I can't explain why the programming isn't working, unless somehow in the changing of the name, Sesame is not tracking the change properly, or you have to make a manual correction somewhere.  Hopefully someone that understands Sesame better than I do can answer this for you!

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2004 at 10:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
if you use record command/print record you now have a nice little shadded command button printed on that nice designed professional invoice that you are going to hand to the cutomer on the other side of the counter Embarrassed
guess ya just carn't please everyone  Grin

Becky,

You could probably use the Sbasic command Visibility  to make the tree open/close element invisible when you print. You can probably make a little command button that when pressed automatically makes the tree button and print command buttons vanish, print the form and turn the Tree button and print buttons visible again.

(Page 168 Visibility and 169 for @visibility to see state of Visibility)

Just a thought.  Smiley

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #10 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 2:37am
Print Post Print Post  
TJ, I agree, don't know why this simple statement is not working, so I deleted the element "+4" changed the navigation in "Zip" to "Goto Add2" and it excutes fine just like before. I then replaced the element and named  it "Zip4" adjusted the navigation to refleck the "Goto Add2" and it doesn't  work again.
Its always the nickel and dime things that give ya the headache  Grin

Bob,
Just wondering, do you work in a think tank by any chance?  Grin
I haven't looked at the use of "Visibility, @Visibility" as yet, must admitt I had skimed right over that one, your idea makes for good thought but then I look at the process of the total issue and then think I have to do all that to every form I create! Just to get full screen Sad
I say in the words of John Stossel "give me a break"
lets keep it simple and add a "command tree close" to the upper menubar and be done.

So I guess I will plead my case to support@Lantica and keep my fingers crossed.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 1:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Becky,

In what way does it "not work"? What does it do or not do? Is there another piece of programming interfering with it?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 1:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
So inlight of that I will follow Bobs lead and add a command button to each and every form,  but for ease and simplicity couldn't ya add that command button to the top Menu Bar or add it into the View Menu on the Menu Bar? Please! Please! Please!

Since you did ask so nicely - its been implemented. The close command tree and open command tree items have been added to the "View" menu. They are disabled if an SBasic program invokes either CloseCommandArea or OpenCommandArea, or if Sesame is started using the "-closed" flag. It will be in the next release.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Since you did ask so nicely - its been implemented.  It will be in the next release.

Now that is CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Thanks for caring

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2004 at 5:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
To the Lantica/Sesame Team, I and the others that are not so sharp in programing thankyou for implementing this request for an idiot button  Grin It will surely make life easier for me.

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou  Grin Grin Grin
and yes Bob that really is Customer Support, to Xkaes I hope you have been reading this thread, if you jump ship now look at all the great support, comradely not to mention a great Data Base Program you will be missing, but if you do I've got  a copy of Access lying around in a draw somewhere that I will sell ya cheap.
Enough said  Lips Sealed

Erika
Ok heres the lay out, the only programming is in the Open/Close button, thanks to Bob. The Date field has a standard @date program; everything else is stripped clean except for the navigation statements.
When the form was created the order of entry went Date, Invoice #, Name, Ship To.
But I wanted it to go Date, Invoice #, Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Zip4, Ship To, Terms and so on.

In programming on element exit I placed the Goto next element, starting with Name thru to Zip4, but when leaving Zip4 it goes to Terms instead of Ship To. Now if I place the Goto Ship To in the Zip element the order of execution works.
I have also set the program execution order to match what I want but that doesn't work either, I know I have to be missing something simple
Also note some of the elements names have changed from previous post, I was thinking that the names might have been the issue.

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2004 at 4:49pm by GW »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print