Normal Topic XFamily Command not working in Application Preview (Read 1154 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

XFamily Command not working in Application Preview
Jan 18th, 2004 at 2:14am
Print Post Print Post  
X-Family Commands and Functions do not seem to work while viewing application in Sdesigner.  One has to go and reconcile before you see any effect of programming as relates to X-Family commands and functions. Is it a bug or that is the way it has been planned?  This really puts brakes into testing application.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: XFamily Command not working in Application Pre
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 2:24am
Print Post Print Post  
I found in the User Guide on page 73, that X Functions does not work in Preview of Application. I really want to include as my wish list to be able to use these functions while previewing application. I believe, this will add a lot of value to preview and eliminate frequent needs for reconciling just to see if your X-Family commands are properly working.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 2:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bharat: I agree with you. And I disagree with you ! Cheesy
When I first realised that the X family of programming functions did not work in preview mode, I too considered it to be irksome to test.  Then when I had to do extensive testing of XLookups, XUserSelect etc, I found it soon became quick and easy.

I've just done a test: ...
From Program Editor to open form in preview: 10 seconds.
From Program Editor, saving and closing layout, reconciling, and opening file and form in already-open Sesame: 17 seconds.

I think you'll find it's like so many things: it seems onerous at first, but once you are familiar with it you shrug and say "it's no big deal".

The hard part is remembering that XLookups etc don't work in preview, when you are going backwards and forwards from program editor to preview mode trying to get that *£@#~ syntax working !

Alec
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 2:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Alec: I regard a separate Sdesigner as productivity booster because it does not interfere with people working on the current application. For a moment I thought that when you reconcile and test, it will affect other people working with the application. But on further thinking, you can name it as different .db and when everythnig works well then reconcile it with main application. Thanks for your input.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2004 at 3:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Absolutely.  "Save as New Application" allows you to make a test-bed app without interfering with other users on the network. Good point.

Alec
IP Logged