Normal Topic Conversion Problem (Read 911 times)
Kpu_Bailey

Conversion Problem
Dec 30th, 2003 at 11:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Im converting a database with no records, and all checks made and corrected for field names.
i start the translation prosess with step 1, start step 2
select my file to convert, at this point it comes up with reading Q&A file 99% and has hung  ???

am i holding my lipps wrong?  Tongue

IP Logged

Kpu_Bailey

Re: Conversion Problem p-2
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 12:24am
Print Post Print Post  
i got it to convert the empty database but i got 24 pages of errors  Angry

some examples

client warning s client 460020 warning layout element name [8 ] resolves to a number

client warning s client 460010 warning layout element name [r/s ] contains operator characters

server warning s eng 390022 [sw days remining] cannot be retained with value [err]

i have only been working with this for a couple hrs and havent read all the books yet but any hints on where to start would be great  Shocked

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 1:58am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
client warning s client 460020 warning layout element name [8 ] resolves to a number

I think the [8] means that the field name in your Q&A database starts with the numeral 8.  This is not allowed in Sesame.

Quote:
client warning s client 460010 warning layout element name [r/s ] contains operator characters

This means the field name in Q&A which looks like it is  " r/s" is not allowed because of the " / " character, which is not allowed in layout element names in Sesame.

Quote:
server warning s eng 390022 [sw days remining] cannot be retained with value [err]

Don't know what this one is about.

You need to read the manual named Q&A Translation Guide.  Also, look on  www.lantica.com for a lot of info about getting your Q&A databases ready to import.  Some of the things that you have to do are to make sure the field names are proper, that some programming situations are resolved, and that your database is "healthy".  All this is explaned in the files on the web site, and in the manuals.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2003 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Don't know what this one is about.
Quote:

This one is warning you that a particular field value cannot be converted to the specified type.  For example, if you have a field in Q&A that is formatted to type N (Number), and some of your records have "Two Weeks" in that field, you will see this warning, since "Two Weeks" cannot be converted into a number.

More importantly, if you are seeing these warnings, then Q&A does not agree with you that your database is empty of records. The pre-translation instructions for preparing a Q&A database for translation begin on page 4 of the Q&A Database Translation Guide that came with Sesame. Following these steps may clear up most of these warnings.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

bcli

No personal text

Re: Conversion Problem
Reply #4 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 9:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
A note for future users who may encounter this conversion problem:

One of our databases immediately got stuck / hung at 99% of translation. This is what I did to overcome it:

- Copied the Q&A database design to a new file
- Translated the new file
- Examined the server admin logs for warnings
- Made changes until there was only a warning about no data records (rename a field, delete some cross tab reports)
- Copied all records from the "bad" Q&A database to the "design only" Q&A database

Hope this helps somebody,

Marcus

IP Logged